Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple tree  (Read 4392 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Apple tree
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:16 pm »
Right then... Got my Aldi apple tree..any good tips on planting it...
Thank you in advance

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Apple tree
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:21:54 pm »
Stake it properly and feed with a bit of bonemeal when you plant it. Take of any fruit that form in the first year.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:45 pm »
Put some well rotted manure in the hole before planting.  I have plenty if you want some.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:43:33 pm »
Having just planted fifty odd fruit trees (although I have no idea how well they'll do).... dig a hole that is bigger and deeper than the root system that is there -. must make sure the roots are well spread out. Back fill some of the hole with a mixture of well rotted manure and earth, along with a couple of handfuls of bonemeal or similar. Rest the tree in the hole and work out where the stake is going to go. It should be on the windward side and goes close to the trunk i.e. the roots are arranged around it rather than putting in the stake later after you've filled the hole. Then backfill the hole, stamping down  the earth except for the last layer. Use a tree tie or stocking (if you have one to hand  ;D) tied in a figure of eight around the trunk of the tree and the stake so there's no chance of the trunk rubbing on the stake. Clear the ground of all other plants for about a metre in each direction (less relevant now but vital if water becomes shorter in supply in the summer). And if you have rabbits around, cut a piece of chicken wire to surround the tree and staple it to the stake. Oh, and prune now if it hasn't already been pruned this winter.

'They' say you shouldn't be planting if the ground is frosted or it's so wet, the mud is sticking to your boots. 'I' say my bare root trees would still be sitting, waiting to be planted two months later if I'd stuck to this. But our ground is sooo wet today, I would give it a day or two. If you dig a hole and it fills with water, that is too wet (one of our holes turned into a pond which is still there).

H

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:03:33 am »
in days gone by the answer would have been

"a deid sheep"

They would have dug a huge hole and filled it with all kinds of compost etc, to give the tree a start in life and to supply it with nutrients throughout its life

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:52 pm »
Current thinking is that you should not amend the soil in the planting hole as this encourages the roots to stay within the hole and effectively become rootbound. Dig a big hole and make sure that the bottom and sides are forked over to ensure that the roots can penetrate, add some seeds of a nitrogen fixing plant such as clover, lupin or lucerne and that will help provide nitrogen to the tree every time you cut back the foliage of the nitrogen fixer. Also plant around the base with flowers to attract pollinating insects - umbellifers are very good for this.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »
yes ive read that too cc. but with the intent being to encourage a wide flat rootball.

i always wonder how, with this 'new' knowledge ancient orchards ever survuved.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:38 pm »
And the problem with planting around the base in the early days is still the competition for water - both with nitrogen fixers and flowers to attract insects. It's all a balance...

H

Profile deleted

• Joined Sep 2019
  • Profile deleted
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 01:21:28 pm »
Anyone used mycorrhiza fungi powder as an addition to the planting hole ?
I have a pot now and will use it on all future tree and shrub additions to the site

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS