Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: land  (Read 4736 times)

downtoearth

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Outskirts of Inverness
land
« on: February 13, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
Hi, I have a large garden but really want more land! (who doesn't!) I have been trying to think of ways I could get some, as well as feeling confident about managing it.  I have farmers all around me, but think they won't be interested as they graze and crop everything they have, from what I see.
So wondered what others would do in my shoes?
Also not that confident about doing all the animal stuff without someone else, I know roughly what I'm doing but what I'm thinking is - would anyone else be interested in coming into some sort of business arrangement to work together? Maybe rent land close by.  Or are the economics of it all not really workable, as I keep reading how hard it is to make money if not imposible!!
I grow a lot of veg and have chickens, am not scared of hard work!! :relief: :thinking: :excited:

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
Re: land
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:04:16 pm »
where are you?
have you looked for grazing lets at your local auction house? i think there is a specific time of yr they usually start and often are for 10mths of the yr.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:34:18 pm »
Yes, whereabouts are you?

There might even be other TAS folks nearby who would welcome a bit of help in return for some of what's produced?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:37:22 pm »
Inverness area anyone?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:18:19 pm »
I have been fortunate in that I own land and also rent some small paddocks. Round here farmers tend  to hold on to their land, and then when retiring or downsizing, put it up for sale by tender, to get the top prices.

There are down sides to having land of your own - the cost of maintaining it, as in fencing, weed control, drainage etc. etc. are very high, and we find there is always something to do and pay for.  A friend of mine is moving,because she said her 3 acres is no longer a pleasure - its costly to keep in good order, and her other half resents spending his free time maintaining it!!

As to keeping animals and making a profit .....with the price of feed and fodder and  vet prices etc, my finances are well in the red.  Last year was a terrible year for us, losing numerous goats to various things.  Our worst year ever. That is why we are not breeding livestock this year, and trying to downsize in numbers.  Hopefully a better bank balance and not working ridiculous hours in all weathers :)

I would not discourage anyone from having a go at smallholding ....far from it. All I would say is, start small, you can always increase as you gain experience, and get more land.  And you have to be prepared for the heartbreak of illness and death, as well as the joyful occasions.

Do hope you find someone to help/share your idea with.  I am sure there is someone out there looking for a partner to start their new venture.

Perhaps you could offer to help on a local smallholding, to gain experience, and make sure its definitely what you want to do?

downtoearth

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Outskirts of Inverness
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
thanks folks for your input! Yes, I'm 8 miles from Inverness.
Dont really know anyone with a smallhodling here. Although I do see there are people with horses. doesnt look like they have anything else! Good ideas tho, will keep my eyes open.  I worked with horses for years. When children were young we had our own. Like the thought of some pigs and sheep.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 03:56:28 pm »
Not sure which side of Inverness you are but there are a couple of plots offered on the river cottage LAndshare website

Hopefully the link will work

http://www.landshare.net/map/pc:Inverness/landoffer:1/lat:57.477773/lng:-4.224721/
 If not try this one and put Inverness in the search box
http://www.landshare.net/map/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:02:58 pm by lachlanandmarcus »

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 04:36:01 pm »
Depends what you want to do with the land if you get it to rent?

If you want to run sheep, cattle or grow hay/silage then take a grazing lease, they're being advertised now and you can take from late March usually until early November (check exact dates offered as they  sometimes vary regionally, and some specify what you can use the land for).  That would let you experiment with the workload of the land and animal management, get your desired experience and with no further commitment.

Pigs are usually harder to get rented land for - obvious reasons in terms of the different use they make of it.  In that case you might get pieces of scrub/woodland quite cheaply to dig it up and fertilise it - there are a couple of places down this way that I've come across piggies in odd corners on that basis.

Other than that, look for smallholders looking for assistance who are hard up cash wise but have space you could help use.  If you were closer I'd have loved help and tho I have ponies there would have been space probably to run a few sheep in the alternate paddocks to cross graze and tidy up, plus veg space in return for assistance with things like chainsaw work, fencing, digging, the heavy stuff I can't do these days..   Fife is a little far from Inverness but I'm sure there would be folk in my position up north that would give a trial season at least

Good luck
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:25:29 pm »
I'm in the same boat as you....I decided to do the animals in the large back garden, ducks chooks rabbits and goats...got a small veg patch but could have a couple of pigs but the mrs don't like the idea of piping them in the freezer lol..been looking for land but no look so getting my name on the local allotment. Good look in your search

downtoearth

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Outskirts of Inverness
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:12:42 pm »
Hi I'm on the Tore side. Cant seem to open the landshare site, but my connection is dodgy! will try again later!
Thanks All for your suggestion, I appreciate them.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »
Let us know how you get on and good luck.

alsun

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Templecombe
  • My Dream Land
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:40:35 pm »
I am living my dream as well but finding it hard doing it all alone, would love to share my 4 acres in south somerset
Alan
Share my land !

downtoearth

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Outskirts of Inverness
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:57 pm »
Ahh - sods law, opposite ends of country!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »
Sharing can work really well- good luck in finding some land.

We share with a friend, we have approx 1.5 acres in exchange for looking after my friends animals when she works away. In fact what happens more often than not, is that we divide the week up ,depending on who is working what (she is a vet, I'm a vet nurse so work nights and weekend etc) and do each others so we both get a couple days off/lie in etc. Its the perfect arrangement for us as we can share resources as well.

Would there be some one near you who needs a hand in exchange for a bit of land near you? Could put an add up in a local feed shop etc?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 11:04:46 pm »
Also in South Somerset and would happily share my 6 acres with anyone who wants to give it a go, starting from scratch but I have plenty experience with stock, just not so much with growing food.
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS