Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best age to tag sheep + tagging advice  (Read 3002 times)

Rach

• Joined Sep 2011
Best age to tag sheep + tagging advice
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:25:37 am »
Please could some kind soul advise as to best age to tag lambs and best tags/applicators for someone with just a few (no great outlay please!).
Some poss going to slaughter prior to 6 months, some kept for breeding.
They are charollais, due in March.

Thank you :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Best age to tag sheep + tagging advice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:46:20 am »
I had orphan lambs  last year which where tagged before they moved to us. Tags were off within days so farmer came back and did them again just before they went to slaughter. he only did his own before they went to market.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:39:15 pm »
don't know about sheep but I have a fgive year old goat that I haven't tagged yet.  I've only just bought tags and tagger and that was because my 20 month old goat was going for slaughter.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:11:56 am »
Rant warning

:rant:  Tags are not in the best interests of the animals from a welfare point of view  :rant:

Rant over.

Ok.  They have to be tagged before they leave your property.  They have to be tagged by the time they are 12 months old.  Do not tag them in the fly season and do not tag them when there is a likelihood of them getting frosty ears.  Try not to tag them when it's muddy. 

We tag as they leave the farm for fat lambs, and in the back end, after the fly season, for keeping ewe lambs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rach

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:36:03 am »
Lovely job. Thanks all.  :eyelashes:

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 04:10:21 pm »
you can tag with lamb tags which are finer then re-do with eid tags when their ears have grown at more at 6 mths.
i also have had registered sheep/goats bought in whose tag has come in a plastic bag. unfortunately its guaranteed to need the tagger that i dont have.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:13:25 pm »
same here scarlettoara.  I also snip the loop tags on livestock to save them being yanked out and ripping through their wee ears when they inevitably get caught in vegetation.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS