Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting sheep  (Read 2751 times)

landhallow

• Joined Nov 2012
Transporting sheep
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:05:54 pm »
Hi everyone. Can you advise me?!  :sheep:
I have only ever moved sheep from A to B locally and within a few miles..

What would be the best way to move a couple of sheep from say one end of the country to the other?
Are there people/companies who move animals regularly? What would be the most cost effective and safe way to transport a couple of sheep?  ???

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Transporting sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:59 am »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:18:31 pm »
Ok....I have transported from France before now and so long as the sheep are not part of a business then transporting them yourself, providing the stops etc are done is not a problem. If there are 2 sheep then 2 of you in car is good too. The regs are very confusing as they assume everyone is transporting hundreds not one or two!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:19:48 pm »
......and if you don't want to do it Gordon George (Ardross animal transport) is brilliant!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 03:45:57 pm »
well it is quite regulated but it pays to know the rules and to whom they apply. I had a little fun this winter transporting three ewes to germany for a spot of hows your father and then returning them thirty plus days later. I did this as a NON commercial transport and moved them myself under TRACES total distance travelled around 4000kms. if you can get well priced transporter to do a shared load and they are going in your direction the sharing of fuel costs may be worth it otherwise unless this is part of a sale or change of ownership its more cost effective to do it yourself BUT know the rules inside and out!!
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS