Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pond management  (Read 5296 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Pond management
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:23:32 am »
We have a large unlined pond which we dug about 18 months ago. It fills from the field runoff and empties into a land drain which eventually goes into the main drain so there is a regular flow through of water. We have planted a few things around the edge and last year we had loads of newts and frogs.

The problem is that there is a lot of algae and other things have rather taken over. I was thinking  - is there a best time of year for draining the pond and having a clear out without being too disruptive to the newts and frogs?

I expect I've missed the best time now but anybody got any ideas?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Pond management
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37:17 am »
I was told not to clean out my pond altogether.  I've used barley straw tied in bundles to get rid of algae, and the string stuff can be pulled out with long poles twirled round and left on the ground to shrivel HTH
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:11:02 am »
Hi

We have the same problem, just bought a property with a large natural pond that was covered in (I think) duck weed at the end of last year and the water is looking quite brown at the moment probably from the next door field which appears to be running in to it (I guess with a bit of mud in tow).

We moved in and arranged for a bale of barley straw but as complete numpties didn't check if it was square so we have a big round bale which I believe we have to turn into smaller chunks, somehow, tie with something and chuck in.

Not sure how it works or how much we need to put in nor what to tie it with.

Any ideas?

K

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 10:16:51 am »
barely straw releases a natural toxin to pond algea as it decomposes in  the water create smallish (say carrier bag sized) bundles and secure with a non degradable twine (baling twine is great) ideally attach to longer bits of twine and chuck in holding onto the end of the long bit of twine secure this to the bank somewhere.

for a small pond you will only need the one bundle for bigger ponds use several at different places round the pond...

once the problem has resolved retrieve the straw with the twine and compost as normal....

for more efficient permanent solution plant bull rushes in the margins as these will draw off the nutrients the algea need to thrive...

problems are worse in ponds receiving run off from fertilised land as its the same stuff that feeds the land that the algea love...

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:00:44 pm »
There is a great book (and web site) from the pond conservation society that has masses of information on creating and managing natural ponds (vs ornamental). A lot of it seems to be about allowing the pond to find it's own equilibrium.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 02:30:14 pm »
The pond will mature in approx two years on its own, barley straw will add to the TDS (Total dissolved Solids) and in the long run make it worse. Leave well alone as the pond finds its own way. The newts will love the murky water

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:57:00 pm »
Hi

Soo confusing, I had been advised to use barley straw and then I think on this site read something about natural ponds and not interfering with them.

Didnt know there was a pond conservation site (next job look them up).  Our pond I believe has been here for 10's of years as its mentioned in an old book about the area.  So probably best to leave it alone, my concern is that there used to be loads of fish in it and between the owner putting it on the market and us moving in there are now no fish (a 2 year gap) and I felt we should be doing something before we re-stocked.

Probably just testing the ph balance will tell us if the water is OK or not and then we need to get rid of the duck weed.  We did have some bullrushes and water lillies so lets see if they come back/look healthy this year.

Anyway far too cold out there to do much at the moment.

K

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:53:56 pm »
http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/

Here they are. Loads of information to browse through.

We have a big pond in our new place but has been horribly neglected and is stagnant and smelly with loads of rubbish thrown in it so we are going to try and start to tackle it a bit later in the year.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:41 pm »
The duck weed will use all the nitrogen in the water that the algae is thriving on so leave it for a while, it will help the pond clear.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:12 pm »
I had duck weed in both my big pond and my teeny ornamental one - it seems to have disappeared over the winter - will it have seeded down below and grow back again?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:29 pm »
Theres usually a few that have escaped the cold to begin again in spring :(

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:18 pm »
Basically, stillwater flora tends to be either dominated by algae or vascular plants, the presence of one over the other tends to tip the equilibrium.

You tend to find that new ponds have a lot of algae because vascular plants have not yet established. Also, logically, therefore you will find that blooms coincide with warm weather when competition from vascular plants is the weakest - ie spring and autumn.

Barley straw helps, as does waiting till the plants grow/planting more pondweeds and marginals.

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »
this was us a few yrs ago. our place had a small empty pond when we moved here. so we filled it then got ducks and geese which left us with thick green water. we use to empty - as it is 5m x 10m and 3ft deep - it was time coinsuming. in the end we emptied it and are filling it in.
we do have a much bigger natural style pond aswell with in-flow and out-flow to a river. it is clean mainly but has so many weeds underneath the surface it is v difficult to row a boat in the water.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »
We have a pond where the clay for the bricks of the Tudor farmhouse was dug out, so it's been here a while!  Some years it stays full, others it dries up.  Some years it has lots of pond weed, or not, lots of floating grass, or not.  Good years it teems with Great Crested and Common newts, Great Diving Beetles, dragonflies and damselflies and so on, other years it doesn't.  Message here is - they always come back, and we do nothing at all!

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 07:25:37 pm »
Hi

I just want it to look natural and healthy with loads of fish and a variety of ducks, I guess we need to create some type of water flow (not the current farmers field overflow into it and public drain as the outflow that we seem to have at the moment due to excesive rain.

I don't believe it ever dries up as I have found some old info suggesting that many years ago the owner let local farmers take water from the pond in a time of draught.

It is quite large with a little island in the middle (aim to put a duck house there) its about 5 or 6 ft deep and surrounded by trees (some dead as previous owner planted the wrong trees in a dry year), there are a few trees which go back a little way, and we are aiming to create a little woodland walk and cater for pond fishing to act as an attraction to our soon to be holiday lets.

We do have some water lillies and reeds  both currently look dead and I am hoping they are they type of plants which die back and grow again each year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS