Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Double dose of Heptavac 'P'!!  (Read 8935 times)

Advertisement

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Double dose of Heptavac 'P'!!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:08 pm »
It IS to avoid too much stress in one go but I've taken the advice on board and will try to spread apart next time. Thanks from me too Sally  :-*

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 07:23:46 pm »
Unless it's really difficult to gather and treat (such as a hill flock), it's advised to not combine any other treatments with the Hep-P, especially in pregnant ewes.  Mind, you have to balance the physiological stress of all the meds against the psychological stress of two gathers and treatments - which is a judgement each of us has to make in our own situation.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Gathering sheep stresses them no matter how friendly/tame they are (and pushes them into close proximity with each other) and every gather should be on a risk vs reward basis. Obviously gathering to vaccinate or to worm (IF they have worms) is a no brainer, but unless there is a problem, I am of the opinion that sheep should be left alone.

I was speaking to somebody who manages grazing projects some years ago and he said that it was always the overenthusiastic beginners that seemed to have most disease problems etc, and it was the same people who were constantly gathering sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 08:19:36 am »
Of course, the more they're gathered, the more they are used to being gathered, and the less stressful it becomes...   ::)   Everyone just has to find what works for them and their flock.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 01:33:14 pm »
Does it count as stressful for them when you arrive at feeding time and have to chuck your sheep out of the catch pen they have gathered in in anticipation just so you can actually reach the troughs?
Sometimes I think my sheep are odd ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »
Of course, the more they're gathered, the more they are used to being gathered, and the less stressful it becomes...   ::)   Everyone just has to find what works for them and their flock.

True, but even then you are still putting  them in closer proximity to each other than they would usually be, which is handy for transmitting disease....

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:48 pm »
Does it count as stressful for them when you arrive at feeding time and have to chuck your sheep out of the catch pen they have gathered in in anticipation just so you can actually reach the troughs?
Sometimes I think my sheep are odd ;D

Mine too - I struggle to get through the gate as they all come running when they see me. Then when I walk down the field, one of them insists on walking beside me with her nose in my hand, another run ahead as fast as she can and stands by the trough looking all expectant at me. The other two take it in turns to pull any zips down they find on my coat and then push each other out of the way so that they can have their heads scratched in their favourite places. When I walk back out of the field they all then stand at the gate and shout loudly after me. I love my sheep  :love: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS