Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Double dose of Heptavac 'P'!!  (Read 8949 times)

Advertisement

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Double dose of Heptavac 'P'!!
« on: February 09, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »
Hi all, one of our pregnant ewes was indavertently given a double dose of Hept 'P' this avo. Will it do her any harm? We spray everyone's head with a red blob as we dosed but obviously didn't give her a big enough blob and did her again. She's eating well enough, whereas some of our woolies aren't too chipper as can happen after vaccinations.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Double dose of Heptavac 'P'!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 05:46:23 pm »
Well considering that if you had weeny Ouessant's they would have the same 2ml dose as Wensleydale or a Suffolk ram for example I reckon there must be a large safety margin as there is no 'ml per kg dose' just a 2ml for everyone.
I suspect all will be just fine ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »
 :wave: i had the same problem but i did ours 2 days ago and all seems fine  :relief:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:47 pm »
Keep an eye on her, of course, but as CW says, the dose is the same for any size of sheep, so she should be absolutely fine.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31:27 pm »
Cheers my lovelies. I do worry a stupid amount over my woolly monsters.

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:31:22 pm »
We lost one of our ewes 3days after her first dose of heptavac and when speaking to a farmer he says that it is not uncommon for ewes to have an allergy to the vaccine??? Has anyone heard of this before?

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:42:57 pm »

As to an allergy jacob and Georgina with Heptivac p I've experience one of my jacob ewe lambs being ill after her first heptivac at 6-8 weeks old and again when she had a booster jag in the winter. She was just listless, not coming forward to the trough and had her ears down. So she went off for meat better to be safe than sorry.

I also help with AI services in the Autumn and have witnessed allergies to the drug they use to knock the  ewes out on two separate occasions. Where the ewe collapses with rapid breathing but is fine in a few minutes

Hope that helps

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:56:37 am »
Our vet describes Heptavac-P as 'hard on the ewes'.  As with any vaccine, it should not be given to animals which are under the weather.  If you've ever had yellow fever or typhoid jags yourself, you will be familiar with having a reaction to a vaccine, and some ewes will have a reaction to Hep-P, yes. But if they were healthy when jagged then they shouldn't die, no. Unfortunately, sheep are good at not showing signs of illness, so probably your ewe that died had some underlying problem, and the reaction to the vaccine was too much on top of that.   :(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:54:44 am »
We had a set of triplets react badly to their first jab at 4 weeks old, we ended up taking 2 of them to the vets and they had something to bring their temperatures down,  they did recover and didn't react so badly to their 2nd primer jab, but the following year we lost 2 of them to enterotoxemia (within a day of each other, although one had been in a new home for 3 months, owned by a vet) which the vaccine should have protected them against.   We usually give the first jab when they are a little older now, athough when I spoke to the intervet vet she said we should be giving their first jab at 3 weeks old as colostrum only provides protection against pasturella for about 3 weeks and the lambs would be vulnerable to it after this time until they have vaccine cover.   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 10:03:52 am »
Our vet recommends using Ovivac-P for the lambs' first jab.  I have understood that to be because it hits their wee systems less hard than the whole Heptavac-P+ armoury whilst covering the things they are most likely to be at risk from in their first summer.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:12 am »
Sally, do they then go on to Heptavac p for their second jab?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:30:45 pm »
You see I'm worried again now as one of our wethers, Dylan, who's a big strong lad but soft as butter, had some breathing difficulties after his Hept 'P' jab and Combinex drench. Breathing does sound better now but he's still not himself. He's usuallly such a waggy tailed boy and that tail hasn't moved since Saturday  :( . Darby, the ewe who was double dosed seems fine however.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:36 pm »
I have re-done a couple of ewes and a goat when I am not sure if the needle has gone in or gun been working. So far no adverse reactions. Most drugs have a huge margin so unless there is an allergy I wouldn't worry .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 01:27:10 pm »
Hep-P and triclabendazole and levamisole is one heck of a hit all in one, there will be the odd one takes a little while to get over it, especially if they had been carrying a worm and/or fluke burden.

Unless it's really difficult to gather and treat (such as a hill flock), it's advised to not combine any other treatments with the Hep-P, especially in pregnant ewes.  Mind, you have to balance the physiological stress of all the meds against the psychological stress of two gathers and treatments - which is a judgement each of us has to make in our own situation.

With our groups that are easy to gather and bring up to the sheep pens, we'd do all the de-worming, -flukeing and -lousing first, then a few days later any vaccines.  Gives the de-worming, -flukeing and -lousing meds time to do some good before hitting the sheep with the vaccines - which are most effective when given to fit healthy sheep.  But like everyone else, life isn't always like that, especially with the weather as it has been, and sometimes we have to combine treatments, and sometimes we end up vaccinating later than is ideal.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »
Hep-P and triclabendazole and levamisole is one heck of a hit all in one
Bugger....did exactly the same last week  :( . To be fair they seem to be fine BUT i'll do them in two separate sessions next time.
Thanks Sally  :thumbsup:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS