Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice for a beginner!  (Read 11436 times)

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
Re: Advice for a beginner!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 02:28:01 pm »
Or unless your neighbour keeps the ugliest sheep you've ever seen, which sound as though they're throwing up when they baaa!  :innocent:

Thats a lovely sheep!
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »
Nothing wrong with a texel or beltex  :P

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 04:34:42 pm »
My goodness, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder!  ;D   (though apologies to any Beltex keepers out there!).

Apart from the size of the joints though, I really can't see why a smallholder would want to keep those over and above these

or these

That said, we're hoping to get some ewes with lambs at foot in the spring from our other neighbour, so guess what they'll most likely be!?  :innocent:   

It's a great thing that we have so many varieties of sheep in this country though. Also as smallholders, most of us aren't under the same pressure as the commercial farmers to focus on the bottom line. If you're doing it for pleasure, you might as well get the breed you like the look of best, surely?  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:43:40 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 04:37:14 pm »
Oh dear - that's not a bonny sheep to me - saying that we ended up with a "pig face" orphan year before last as a local farmer was left with one (when it's pall died) and knew I had orphans and in my eyes she was beautiful - just because she was my "pig face" :innocent: :innocent:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 05:20:19 pm »
I don't keep sheep like my neighbors, but then my sheep haven't been dropping like flies all winter ;)

The term in Somerset for a sheep that escapes is 'You F*&^£$!!!!!' I believe. At least that is what I hear being shouted ;D

Mine got out when the snow melted and froze my lekky fence to the floor, but they have behaved all the rest of the time. Save for the time they took themselves to the post office in the village on the ONE day I went away for a trip ::)

My sheep look like this;

They go 'baaaaah' and not 'oink' and are by far the best sheep in the world. Ever. :love:
Not that I am biased or anything :innocent:
And their lambs are just  :yum: :yum:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 06:49:30 pm »
Racists!  ;D

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 09:06:33 pm »
On the subject of 'escape artists', I'm not sure it is about breed, rather just about personality. Most of our Soays stay where they are put unless there is a big hole under the fence but we have one that since birth has been a pain in the backside. She only survived because she is one of the best looking sheep we have ever had and I regret this decision all the time. If she weren't too old and tough to eat ... .

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 08:32:38 pm »
Good Evening

I am new to keeping sheep also, although i didn't want them for the meat, i just needed something to keep the grass down, where the horses wouldn't graze. I was advised to get Shetland sheep, as they are much smaller, so easier to handle, (well there meant to be). They are also very hardy and don't seem to require a great deal of hard feed. They are also very friendly. I ended up with 6 ram lambs, who are lovely and they are also pretty good looking (although i may be a bit biased). They are generally good and don't try to escape either.

I must admit i just bought the Tim Tyne book as well and its a good read.

Regards

Emily

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »
I don't think the crossbreed can be beaten - here's one of my Ryeland x Charollais lambs from last year.  They appear  :fc: to be hardy, healthy and more robust than many sheep. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 09:11:39 pm »
The problem with Herdies and some other hill breeds is that they are 'hefted' - the ewes regard their own ground as home and will try to return to it.

If you buy ewes from a flock that range on the common allotments, or out on open moorland / fell, the likelihood is they'll be hefted types and won't settle, especially in teeny paddocks.  Hence, 'ratchers' - they're just trying to find their way back home. :'(

However, there will be breeders who keep their sheep closer, use "in-bye" ground, so their sheep will be used to being moved around smaller fields. 

So I would ask your friendly farmer if you can see the flock in their home environment, and if that's open moorland or fell, look elsewhere for stock.  If they're in fields, ask questions about do they have any fell or common ground that they use - if they don't, you may be okay!

On every other count you've listed bar one, Herdies would fit your bill.  They're one of the hardiest breeds, not huge, shouldn't need much help at lambing provided you haven't been silly about your choice of tup, and have delicious meat.  There are lots around you and lots of people who could advise you in your area.

The one count on which they don't fit your bill is that they're a lot less likely to have twins than some breeds - but then there's no reason they won't go on popping single lambs out, and rearing them with no particular help, for over a decade, perhaps longer.  If you do the maths, you could find that the reduced startup costs, reduced replacement costs (lambs you can't sell - or eat - because you're keeping them to replace old ewes that are no longer productive) plus the very low inputs - and hopefully low vet bills - might make them a better financial proposition than you expect.

There are bound to be some people around who do sheep handling sessions / courses on Herdwicks - why not try to find one, and see if you like them and feel comfortable and confident handling them?

The other local breed you could consider is the Swaledale.  They're not generously-framed, so aren't oversized for a woman to handle on her own (plus the ewes have the helpful 'handlebars' - you would never pull a sheep along by its horns, but they aren't half useful at helping you grab hold of one securely  ;)), two-summer wethers taste fantastic.  Like the Herdie, some flocks will be hefted but even they do tame given time and patience - Swales really like sheep cake, and human bread  ;), digestive biscuits, etc.  They're terrific mothers, usually have plenty of milk, and are more likely to have twins than Herdies would be.  Older ewes will be capable of producing a lamb or pair of lambs to a larger tup breed if you do decide you want to produce meatier lambs. 

Neither breed has fleeces that handspinners will queue up for, so don't bank on any income from fleece.  Having said which, there are people who do market Herdwick and Swaledale wool.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:27 pm »
That's a very very nice lamb, ZaktheLad  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 11:11:55 am »
We have hebrideans. Our friend has them and recommended them. We got a flock of 10, the flightiest sheep I've ever known and we wondered what we'd done!
But they are better now they've lambed and the lambs are really tame, so we could have the nature v nurture debate...
Also, hill breeds are smaller so easier for me to handle, once I've rounded them up that is!
J xxxx

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 11:50:07 am »
That's a very very nice lamb, ZaktheLad  :thumbsup:
Thanks!  She is one of the ewe lambs that I have kept back from last years lot, so will be interesting to see what her offspring look like this time next year.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 02:21:08 pm »
We've got ryelands and I think they're fab  :excited: I manage them for the majority on my own and as they are easily bucket trained so will follow where ever the food goes  ;D . They generally don't want to escape as it's just to much hassle, why waste energy escaping when I can just stand here and graze? I am totally biased but I really do love them. All my local farmers have welsh crosses so they all look a little confused when they see my woolly, tubby sheep.
Have attached photo of Puck, one of our breeding ewes, claiming the hay all for herself  :innocent:   

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 06:26:02 pm »
I like ryelands myself or rather my wife does  :innocent:  but they are a little hot for my pocket. I'm quite happy with the shetlands, when you have arthritis like i do they are ideal.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS