Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tax Tax and more Tax Rant  (Read 5961 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Tax Tax and more Tax Rant
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:13 pm »
Hi all, can anyone enlighten me as to why we have to pay stamp duty when buying property? we want to move to be closer to our daughter and have found a place with land so we can continue with our attempt at the good life keeping our pigs and chickens, we have to pay £14.500.00 stamp duty on top of all other costs, why, why why, I think it, along with APD are totally immoral taxes inflicted on us >:(

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Tax Tax and more Tax Rant
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:10 am »
This is so that our profligate betters can continue to give £millions away to third world dictatorships , they in turn can then support our arms industry and slaughter their own people, creating refugees who we then have to give more money to look after . don't you feel better knowing  how your cash is so wisely spent ? You are doing you bit for the world economy, makes you proud to be British.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:09 am »
Thanks Tiz, now I feel a lot better about it knowing its going to a good cause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gloomy:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:01:13 am »
Terrible - and you don't even get any stamps for the duty  >:( And don't get me started about the price of stamps...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:25:38 am »
At least there's a Bill going through to change the structure from slab to graduated.  Much fairer.  I never understood the logic that if you paid £1 over the threshold you immediately paid the next rate up on the full amount.  That is every bit immoral
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:10:19 am »
They are going to put the rate up to 3 per cent for property over £250,000, it is something like 1now or is that 1.5??? They hope it will bring prices down :( I know it was our cut off point when buying.... whops, think I got that wrong but,,,,I did read they were thinking of putting it up again..it certainly adds to selling a house costs...our estate agents are not doing much at all...as usual......I have bought and sold a few houses and often wonder if I could do it alone........We rang to view something on Sat and they never got back so we rang on Monday and they still never got back, we phoned them and they said they had been trying to organise the viewing...why did they not think to actually ring back to let us know that? A friend of my daughters does all his own legal stuff...not something I would contemplate at all!! :innocent:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:45:00 am by happygolucky »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:25:31 pm »
You can't do your own 'legal stuff', conveyancing must be done by a 'legally qualified person'.    However, there is no reason why you can't do your own marketing.  I have done very successfully in the past, but as soon as I have had a verbal/email offer it has to go to the solicitor in writing for it to be recorded legally.  Just don't get me started on legal fees.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

the great composto

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »
i am very happy with the tax as long as you pay it means I dont have to pay it in some other form.

I just wish the goevernment wouldnt waste so much of our money

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:28 pm »
This is so that our profligate betters can continue to give £millions away to third world dictatorships , they in turn can then support our arms industry and slaughter their own people, creating refugees who we then have to give more money to look after . don't you feel better knowing  how your cash is so wisely spent ? You are doing you bit for the world economy, makes you proud to be British.
:trophy:  Post of the Year so far  :trophy:
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:53:41 pm »

And there was me thinking it was to pay MPs' expenses.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 07:52:07 am »
:trophy:  Post of the Year so far  :trophy:
Definitely post of the year :bouquet:
Anne

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:45:54 am »
There is no legal reason why you shouldn't do your own Conveyancing.  There are only certain parts of a property transaction for which you must use a Solicitor or Licenced Conveyancer, for example the final transfer of the property.  All the other parts you can do yourself.
A friend of ours did his own legal stuff for his house sale and his divorce, I think he only had minor intervention at the last stage but did all the rest himself and he said it was not too difficult, some houses or land is much more complicated than others....I had a few complicated issues, flying freehold, un adopted access road and parking...it was all sorted with a small form and a few quid to any solicitor, just so happened that working where I did in Leicester was on a road full of them...and courts  ::)
I would not do that but certainly selling a property, I did try and did get some responses but then you can become too personal, then in my opinion its better to get a third party in......
Inheritance tax was and is the worse tax, some people give away their homes in a hope that they will live long enough for their family not to have to pay tax on.........

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 10:23:54 am »
Hi

There are ways not to pay Stamp Duty but its not guaranteed and the solicitors fees are steep, only worth doing if you are loaded.

Farming is a useful mechanism for getting round IHT with the Agricultural Property Relief at 100% or 50%, HMRC are alot stricter now on what is agricultural property.

There are alot of things traditionally in a soliciotrs remit that you can do yourself and if you find yourself using a rubbish solicitor you may as well but and its a big but there are risks, more to do with missing something or not knowing what you are looking for and finding a solicitor to do the bits you can't would be tricky.

All this fun stuff aside anyone know when the sun is coming back??  ???

K

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:00 am »
 :cold: :cold: .......may as well emigrate!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:46 am »
You could always have a word with the buyers/sellers  and price the propperty just under the threshold then do a  £cash deal for the difference  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS