Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tree pollen.........and honey?  (Read 3537 times)

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
Tree pollen.........and honey?
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »
 :wave:

I've often read that honey from local bees can assist with hay fever symptoms.Is that true for tree pollen victims?

My big ol Birch out front gets me every year as the sap rises and from late January until around March I suffer, more so this year and last as we had it pollarded and it came back with a vengeance!

Any tips to aid my suffering........other than move, cut down tree and eat local honey?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Tree pollen.........and honey?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:31 pm »
As a beekeeper (whose bees died last summer) I can assure you that eating local honey does NOT necessarily help you with hayfever, as I suffer as badly as ever with it... Logically only if you are allergic to any of the pollen that may end up in honey (and that would mainly be flower pollen) would it have any effect. I have a lady who swears by my honey for her rapeseed allergy (I have loads of that around), but it doesn't do anything for my own grass pollen allergy... maybe if you get honey with birch pollen in it????

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42:21 pm »
dunno about the allergy, but if you've got a birch that close to your house you could tap it for syrup. might slow its growth down a bit too...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:28:09 pm »
Big symapthies - I start with the tree pollen too (and then carry right on through with the grass pollen and fungi spores)  I LOVE winter ;D ;D ;D .  This year a local beekeeper has been keeping hives on our land, I did feel slightley better than usual (although that could be partly due to such a rubish summer!!) - so this year (when the pollen is OUR pollen) I'm really looking to put it to the test!  If it even helps with some pollens I'm happy.  Eye drops and the odd piriton I can sustain - its the idea of '1 a days' for 9 months I cant stomach.  So far Ive tried homeopathy  (didnt help - perhaps because I'm not a believer), MLD (Manual Lymphatic drainage, did help, but too expensive and practitioner moved away), but not tried accupuncture.  Would love a cure cause its VERY irritating isnt it! (and I choose to work in the woods!!!  Doesnt really make it any worse though!!) 

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:22 am »
You pollarded the wrong end of the trunk , start again from the root end , then cut trunk into short lengths for use in logburner. end of problem . :innocent:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:10 am »
I suffer from hayfever in the grass pollen season and eating local honey has had no effect at all unfortunately.

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:08:29 am »
You pollarded the wrong end of the trunk , start again from the root end , then cut trunk into short lengths for use in logburner. end of problem . :innocent:

Thanks Tizalla, you are wasted on here...........ever considered the rural comedy circuit?!

Thanks DITW - we are considering tapping it for birch sap wine but as we took away about a 3rd of it last year we wanted it to grow on a tad!

I'd heard that local honey was only effective if the pollen came from the culprit species......darn it.

However, I gained another response yesterday that states ' Quail eggs contain an enzyme that acts as a natural antihistamine. They are a traditional remedy for hayfever, eczema and asthma. You need to eat about a dozen quail eggs per week for six weeks to build up your body's store of the enzyme, which sounds a lot but is about the same as 2 chicken eggs per week so not really. After that you will start to produce more of the enzyme yourself'

Blimey :thumbsup:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:11:41 pm »
keep us posted!!!  Ive always fancied quail!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:03:57 pm »
Quail?  Now there's an idea.  I wonder if they're easy to keep.  I don't suffer from hayfever but I do have asthma and it's always worse round about May when tree flowers are out.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:59:29 pm »
Very easy to keep and breed for eggs and or meat .
Cages are the costly bit in any form of keeping them.
Depending on breed , they start laying and breeding at 6 weeks or so . So it is a very short time from getting them to pay back in eggs or meat , either to sell or for your own use .

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:55:25 pm »
mgm, try an antihistamine when you start feeling wheezy, i was the same. no runny nose or sneezing, just tight chest and inability to breath. piriton worked for me. this was a few years back mind, and im sure other types are available, just got to find the right one for you.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:10 pm »
Local honey only works in theory if the bees have foraged on the culprit species. Grass pollen is wind not insect spread so bees never forage it (no nectar). Many trees on the other hand are rich sources of forage for bees. Mine made wonderful honey from linden trees the year before last (dreadful year last year).

As to quail, easy to hatch, keep and any excess boys easy to kill pluck and gut and a surprising amount of meat for a diddy bird! Definitely starting with them again this year. MGMoM will happily hatch some for you too if you want.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS