Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from the north rim of the Grand Canyon, USA  (Read 6804 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Hello from the north rim of the Grand Canyon, USA
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:38:26 am »
Sounds like the making of a TV programme....I am sure your place is in "Kill Bill"  :innocent: :innocent:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 09:42:06 am »
Little House on the Grand Canyon, fantastic.  Flew over GC years ago, amazing.  Love hearing from non British members on here out in the big world.  Photos, photos and lots of luck to you Karen, sounds a brilliant dream.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:10:49 am »
Karen, it sounds like you have taken on a tough job and by yourself too. You must be made of strong stuff.
I bet the views are fabulous though. Good luck with your venture  and like the rest I can't wait to see the pictures.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »
I'd love to read a blog about your adventures, hint hint  ;)

There are loads of crazy things I'd try out there - a small village back garden has certain restrictions for me  ::)

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 05:28:03 pm »
YES! I know that I am bonkers! (giggle)

At this moment I am in Salt Lake City about 400 miles from the property waiting for the snow to melt and work out the funds to move down to the property. There it is warm spring with temps in the low 40F. They have had several short snow storms and alittle rain. Everything is green. Here there is over a foot of hard packed snow that has been standing for over a month. This is the coldest winter that I remember.

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 06:21:39 pm »
This is the only photo I have on Computer. This is the bottom of the 14+ acres looking north toward Zions National Park mountains in the distance.

Yes, this looks like a John Wayne Western. They were filmed within two hundred miles of the property.

I tried to send a photo but it is toooooo large. Anybody have an idea how to deal with this?

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »
Hi and welcome,

I have visited Ogden, Nr SLC a couple of times, and the last trip took one drive to Yellowstone and one down to GC. Interesting country.

To reduce your images you may need to edit them in photoshop or something similar before trying to upload.

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »
Quiltycats,

If you have been to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon, then you have a feel of the country. It is a complete opposite from the UK.You struggle with too much moisture. We struggle with too much sunshine. ( or heat) You the green verdent growth and we have to water several times a day to get anything to grow and then have to shade it to keep it from burning.

I have put a call into my "computer genious" to figure out what to do with the photo;

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 09:50:12 pm »
 :wave: Hi, Karen, and welcome from Shropshire. I am a back garden smallholder with goats, veggies and fruit.  I think you are very mad brave to take on such an undertaking alone and I, too, am looking forward to seeing the photos.  I would also like to offer some of our rain for  some lots of your sunshine.  Can do manure as well.  My goats seem to spend all day producing the stuff.

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 11:39:18 pm »
MWM,

I have retired and have a retirement. It is not much but it is enough to support me. I do not have to support myself with the produce of the property. I can go as slowly as I wish. The biigest problem, of couse is the funds.

First I need to get down there and set up the platform for the yurt and then get a crew together to set it up. Move into the Yurt, set up the water system and the solar panels.  Then arrange to have a propane tank installed and plumed to the stove, heater, water heater and generator.

Hopefully by then Jody will have dug the well And I can get the pump wired to the solar panels. That should take me quite a while.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 07:17:06 pm »
Sounds amazing! And more than just a bit of hard work.. Pics please! -Prob the only sunshine I will get to see in a while..
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »
Hi,

I hear you on wanting px. I am not getting any support on my end at this moment...will keep working on it. When you see the Px you will need, sunglasses, sun block and tons of water!  I would like some GREEN, please.

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 09:02:26 pm »
PHOTO!!!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »
Well that is different to what most of us are used too. It looks like that you will have quite a challeng to make that land productive to the degree most enjoy here ( despite the wetter and cooler climate).
Thanks for the picture  :thumbsup:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 09:11:42 pm »
Ooooo.

You won't be needing this smilie much  :raining:  hehe!

I would be thinking about planting shade trees and windbreaks, anything to stop the sand soil blowing away and hold some moisture in the air :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS