Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from the north rim of the Grand Canyon, USA  (Read 6800 times)

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
Hello from the north rim of the Grand Canyon, USA
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »
Hello,

I have purchased 14+ acres on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The ground is barren, desert and covered with what we call scrub. Weeds and an occasional cactus. I have made arrangements for a water well to be drilled. The water table is at 50 feet so it will not be difficult. Electricity will be a problem and we will be off the grid for some time. I have almost finished a 36ft yurt to place on a platform at the high end of the property that has great views of Zions National Park. This fall I anticipate starting a 40x40 log cabin. The earth is red sand loam. It will require some organic composting to produce well. The land is in what we call zone 7, almost Mediterranean in climate. It can get to zero F and up to 90 F in the summer. 

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Hello from the north rim of the Grand Canyon, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:39:33 pm »
Hi!
 :wave:
What are your long term plans for the place? Sounds like something to really get stuck in to. Solar panels would be my first thought... :D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:43:59 pm »
My firt thought is watch out for those long tail cats - they nick your sandwiches!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:44:36 pm »
 :wave: :wave: :wave:  Hi from central wet cold scotland....wow, thats some tough farming you are going to be doing!!!! The log cabin sound brill....sounds like a film set!!!!! Welcome and look forward to some photos!!! :wave:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:39 pm »
I want to say stop showing off with your temp. When so much mud here but I know you have = challenges - good luck with your plans and look forward to reading about them  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:52 pm »
Sound great - good luck with it all and welcome  :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:52:54 pm »
Hi All,

I plan to put in a raised bed veg garden. I will be able to get some fruit trees in including Pecan, Pistacio, Lemon and an Orange trees. I plan to have large beds of raspberries and thorneless blackberries.

I I have three 186 watt solar panels with an inverter to run the important stuff in the house. I will also have the water well pump run off  solar too. There is also a 1500 gallon tank ready to be placed in the ground.

I have been researching doing some poultry for eggs, such as Barnevelder, Marans, Cream legbars, Jersey Giants and for harvest some American Bresse.

I took a class from Log Home Builders Assoc. It will not be as hard as it looks. You can take a look at their web site..... I have found some BIG trees to build with they will be about 30 inches in diameter. They will require a crane to move around.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15:03 am »
Hi Karen and welcome  :wave: .  Your project sounds exciting and a real challenge  :thumbsup:   Will you have any 4 legged animals to help with manure production for your raised beds?  The poultry will provide some of course.

Are you on your own or do you have someone else to help with the enterprise?

Your site sounds spectacular so we will all be wanting some photos.

How is your yurt made?  Is it felted wool?  Is it decorated?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:49:18 am »
Hi,

No, I haven't planned on any four legged friends. However, I have thought about a couple of llamas, not for fleece but to protect the poultry. The veg garden will have to be fenced and probably with electric fencing.

Am I alone? yes. I am a retired ICU nurse.

I am a town girl. I can grow tomatoes but that is it. This is going to be a great learning experience. hahahah

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:44 am »
Being a nurse puts you halfway there, as you are already well practised at being observant, so you will soon learn how to grow veggies and to look after your stock  :llama: :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 02:03:10 am »
My yurt is slowly taking shape in my condo backyard.  It is built out of some very heavy cotton poly mix canvas that came 60 inches wide. I wish I had access to some felt but I do not. I am going to have to be pretty tricky. I have some bubble wrap with 1 inch bubbles, two layers. I will also use a foil fabric to reflect to the outside and then to the inside. I have thought about replacing the felt  with carpet. I have some double glazed sliding glass doors to place in the wall.

I have a com[posting toilet and a propane heater. I have also picked up a wood burning kitchen stove. I would rather use a propane stove than the wood burning one for ease of use.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:00:37 am »
hi  :wave: :wave:
sounds brill  :excited: :excited:
can we do a trade.. :idea: :idea: .... some sun for some rain
(I'll even throw in some manure free of charge )
Mx

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:15 am »
IT'S DEAL!!!! IT IS MORE THAN THAT IT IS A BARGIN!!! COME THE FIRST WEEK IN JULY, I WANT POURING RAIN!!!

i WILL BE GREATFUL OF THE DELIVERY OF THE MANUER THE FIRST WEEK IN MAY. Please let me know and I will give exact directions. (giggle) The property is 30 miles from the nearest town,  on a tiny dirt road without a name.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 08:59:31 am »
You do know you are totally bonkers  ;D

Can't wait to see photos, though  :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:16:30 am »
Yep - photos would be great as you have such a different landscape and climate to that of the UK. Sounds very challenging and brave - please keep us updated. Maybe you could contact a TV/film company that would record your progress on such a unique venture. they may even pay for essential work you need to do.  :excited: Or write a book !!
Best wishes Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS