Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep prices  (Read 6634 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Sheep prices
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:03 am »
Agree, it all depends on on the breed.  Sedgemoor buyers seem very particular - I sent a Ryeland cull ewe a while back and she was quite the centre of attention and discussion due to her short legs and woolly appearance - some commented that they had never seen a sheep like it!!   The buyers seem to shy away from anything with horns, with coloured wool or anything really that doesn't have a bit of Suffolk, charollais or texel in it somewhere.   My lambs are grass fed and not finished on hard feed. I only feed the ewes up towards lambing time or if grazing particularly poor with wet/poached conditions.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 09:53:54 am »
I sent my old tup (oh the heart break  :'( ) to cull market a couple of weeks ago and he made £70. He was a big lump of a lad although rather aged, I was pleased with his value. He was a pure bred Ryeland. 

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 10:43:41 am »
If you are wanting to sell them as ready for slaughter would it be worth considering  trying to sell them as half lamb boxes and add value to them that way?   

Market prices are very variable from week to week it seems, the prospective buyer sounds quite cheeky with his offer, but may have been seen the very low prices of recent weeks.
We have a few 2012 hoggs left to go and have been waiting for prices to go up, we manage to sell some direct but having recently broken my leg unfortunately they may all have to go off to market as not being able to drive I won't be able to deliver lamb boxes for several weeks.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 10:58:06 am »
I have always been pleased with cull ewe prices at Sedgemoor, my pure Greyface Dartmoors always seem to manage over £50 a head, whereas the local abattoir struggles to offer half that!
I always have my lambs slaughtered and sell them direct from the abattoir butchered for £100 each. Cost of slaughter/ butchery/freezer bagging is £27/lamb so by far the easiest way to do it without having to throw myself at the mercy of market vagaries and fads - as long as we have the orders.  :thumbsup:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 11:17:23 am »
Hazelwood Flock - what abattoir do you use as I am having trouble finding one local to myself in the Bristol/Gloucester area.  I really like the sound of the lamb boxes, selling to family and friends as this would also involve far less stress on the lambs, as I do hate the way they are pulled and pushed around at market. 

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36:25 pm »
Hazelwood Flock - what abattoir do you use as I am having trouble finding one local to myself in the Bristol/Gloucester area.  I really like the sound of the lamb boxes, selling to family and friends as this would also involve far less stress on the lambs, as I do hate the way they are pulled and pushed around at market.

I use Ensors in Cinderford, probably not that convenient if you are in Bristol but I can not fault the service we get there.

Shaun

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 02:01:09 pm »
I use C. Snell at Chard, also a long way from Brizzle  ;)
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS