Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep worrying  (Read 7459 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Sheep worrying
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:26:56 pm »
Checked on my shearling rams this morning and found that one had quite bad injuries to one of his back legs which looked consistent to have being bitten.
We brought him into the shed and gave the area a good clean. He had multiple puncture wounds to the inside of his leg and also the outer part of his leg. I called the vet and he came later and confirmed that he had been bitten by a dog and gave me an array of medicine to give him along with instructions to keep the wounds clean and of course keep an eye on them. Now hoping that he has no muscle damage.
On closer inspection we found his companion had a chunk of fleece missing at the base of his tail only with a nasty scratch about 6 inches long.
What also alerted me that something was wrong was that the alpaca had jumped the fence, something he has never done.
I have dogs myself, but I wish people would not walk their dogs near livestock if they cannot be trusted. Their failure to control their dog/dogs could cost me a good ram not to say vets costs.
My pregnant ewes are not too far away from the field they were in. I just hope whatever did this to him doesn't come back.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep worrying
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:48:19 pm »
Agree with you there Kas - I have a GS, lovely people dog but not to be trusted with stock and a sort of working collie who is not allowed to play with the goat kids.

Hope your ram makes a full and quick recovery  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:31 pm »
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago.  Horiffic tearing to to the poor old girl's rear end.  Very stressful for the ewe and totally unnecessary.

The other similarity with your case is that I had one that was badly hurt and another that was 'just' scratched.  I suppose the dog just the easier target of the two.

Hope your chap makes a full recovery...

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »
I'm worried for this exact reason when I turn my ewes and lambs out! I bought a sign from ebay to put up on the gates saying Your dog could be shot if found amongst sheep.... It was only £1.95! My help make people think!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:41:06 pm »
We have a footpath right through our paddock and adjoining field and we get several people who just will not put their dogs on a lead.  One couple allowed their collie x to run right up and around my sheep and when we went out and asked if they could put the dog on a lead, they gave us a load of abuse.  Luckily it is not a hugely popular footpath, but whenever it is in use it seems to be by people who have no idea of the countryside code.   If only all dogs behaved like my lurcher Zair - photo attached!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:52 am »
Karen, sorry to hear about the ram. I hope he makes a full recovery  :fc:

Zak, lovely picture of your dog. I wish mine could be trusted like that. I always keep him on a lead around my sheep, or anyone elses for that matter.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:48 am »
I'm worried for this exact reason when I turn my ewes and lambs out! I bought a sign from ebay to put up on the gates saying Your dog could be shot if found amongst sheep.... It was only £1.95! My help make people think!
sadly notices like this are deemed a threat apparently and you arent supposed to put them up,anyone who then shoots a dog is less likely to be deemed to have acted under the animals act exemption for shooting sheep worriers. Madness, I know..........

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:19:31 am »
So very upsetting. We had a lamb destroyed following an attack by 2 loose german shepherds before xmas, one of his flock mates had a superficial injury to the ear so seems he got off lightly in comparison that day!
Recent news article showed that 7 lambs were killed by loose dogs 2 miles up the road and seconds from where the dogs who killed my sheep came from. The farmers here are too nervous to shoot some of the loose dogs for fears of repercussions from the notorious owners, even the police recommend avoiding this method. Rock and hard place  >:(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:26 am »
sadly notices like this are deemed a threat apparently and you arent supposed to put them up,anyone who then shoots a dog is less likely to be deemed to have acted under the animals act exemption for shooting sheep worriers. Madness, I know..........

You can, however buy signs (possibly from the NFU) that simply state the law - you should still be ok to shoot dogs worrying sheep with them up.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 08:37:08 am »

You can, however buy signs (possibly from the NFU) that simply state the law - you should still be ok to shoot dogs worrying sheep with them up.
thats very true - you can have those ones that make dog owners aware of the livestock and state the law to keep the dogs under close control. Personally i think if it is a field of sheep then the law should be that unless it is your own field any dogs should be on a lead, it would be much clearer and simpler for the public and less heartache all round.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 08:59:03 am »
 :bouquet:  Hope the poor thing makes a good recovery.

I can't understand why people refuse to put their dog on a lead through any stock.  ???  I would always do so even though my lad is fine around all stock ..... that way I'm in the right.

Zak - he is beautiful. Got a soft spot for lurchers. So noble.  ;D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:04 am »
We have no public right of way through our fields, so this dog has obviously jumped or come under the fence. :rant:

The ram is a bit brighter in his self this morning, but not using that leg which is hardly surprising, if it was me I don't think I would either.

If I catch the culprit................
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 10:09:38 am »
People are so inconsiderate (to put it mildly)  :rant: .     A warning sign would be worth it to try and make people 'think' about the consequences.    Hope Ram recovers well and by the sound of it, he's on the mend.
Out of interest, just how high CAN alpacas jump  :o .
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:35 am »

If the sign was to say "your dog WILL be shot if found amongest the sheep" would be a threat but as my sign says "could be shot" it is then deemed as not a threat as the sign is just stating a fact. Your allowed to shoot a dog under that act if the owner is not in sight and/or not in control of the dog.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:23 am »
So long as you can prove you were shooting a dog that was ACTIVELY worrying/attacking sheep you have legal defense. The signs are a grey area. I won't put one up here.
Long conversation with our local police following the attack on our flock. I was told we had the option to shoot the dog outright or shoot above them to scare them off, the dogs could not be retreating when they were shot but had to be attacking and causing serious injury or threat of. We could ask a neighbour with shotgun to do it for us if we didn't have one.
You have to report a shot dog within 48 hours to the police.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS