Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep worrying  (Read 7458 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Sheep worrying
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 03:31:53 pm »
Owners should be in trouble just because their dog is out alone never mind anything else.  :rant:

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 08:43:15 pm »
We have terrible trouble here. The public footpaths are the bane of my life. I wont have Suffolks anymore as they seem to be more bothered by the dogs than any others. I wont get a gun for the simple reason I wouldnt stop using it. The amount of people that let their dogs run in amongst the sheep and horses is unbelievable. We have a stallion that kills any smallish animal that goes in his field so its only a matter of time before he gets a dog and I will have zero sympathy. Last month we had a bloke with a mastiff standing and watching it chase the sheep. "I didnt know there were sheep in here" was his reply when I asked hmi why it wasnt on a lead - bear in mind there are 50 sheep in there and have been for 4 yrs, you cant miss them. "He wont hurt them." That would have been a candidate for a bullet even though its not the dogs fault.
This week we even had a lamb that had had the entire skin off its skull removed in one piece. Rest of the body intact. The skin was on the footpath and the lamb at the other end of the field in with the herd. God knows what had happened to that.
People should not be able to have dogs if they cant control them.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 07:33:58 am »
That is interesting what you say about Suffolks, moony - our killed lamb was a suffolk. I often wonder if he wandered over to see the dogs, being intrigued as to what they were and him being so tame?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:29 am »
I went for a walk a few weeks ago on the disused train line, I noticed some  Soay? sheep, only 4, my dogs were not even remotly interested but I called them and put them on the lead and went to the gate and ALL 4 ran up to the gate for a treat or somethng, they were so sweet...I walked off before our dogs even saw they were on the way to see me.....I would not trust any dog but especialy in a pack......up to now I have never seen our dogs interested and do aviod sheep areas....thats why the train line is out unless I know there is no live stock......my dog trainer has a big tup that he will let you take dogs in with if you have a problem...I have not done that yet..may do on my next visit!!

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 09:29:20 pm »
It might also be worth mentioning to people that don't keep their dog on a lead that they will have to pay for any losses you suffer and that 'worrying' includes just frightening ewes at this time of year when they can lose their lambs. It doesn't matter if the dog is just playing if the sheep don't see it like that.

Try talking to your local police too. It might be because we are in a very sheep dominated area so our local police take this very seriously, but when our neighbour caught a dog that had killed some of his sheep the police insisted the owner pay for the losses or they would immediately sieze and destroy the dog - no need for our neighbour to take the owner to court or anything.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 08:24:00 am »
if u shoot a og that is actively worrying sheep with a shotgun then i guess u will also shoot the sheep!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:57 am »

Try talking to your local police too. It might be because we are in a very sheep dominated area so our local police take this very seriously, but when our neighbour caught a dog that had killed some of his sheep the police insisted the owner pay for the losses or they would immediately sieze and destroy the dog - no need for our neighbour to take the owner to court or anything.

I wish they'd take it seriously here. When we phoned up we were told to sort it out by ourselves with the owner and to mention it to the dog warden!! It was only when I put something on Twitter mentioning our local police force that they tried a little harder (not my usual tactics but local farmer has just lost 8 sheep to dog attacks and its getting worse here)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 06:02:14 pm »
Our local police are a joke here. I think they have to be pried out of the police station. As this attack was not seen they were not interested. :rant:
One week on, he is making progress. His wounds are healing well and he finished his course of vet. medicine today. He is not putting a lot of weight on that leg and has had a tendency to knuckle his foot under, but I have bandaged that joint to stop him hurting that area.
He now has his mate in with him, so that has cheered him and it is encouraging him to walk more as he now has a straw pen and a run. Room we really needed for lambing, but we'll get by. 

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »
Kaze - try some Manuka honey on his wounds - it is superb stuff, getting rid of infection, stops proudflesh forming and heals wounds in excellent time.  It also helps with the regrowth of hair from the wound area. 

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:08 pm »
Kaze - try some Manuka honey on his wounds - it is superb stuff, getting rid of infection, stops proudflesh forming and heals wounds in excellent time.  It also helps with the regrowth of hair from the wound area.
Will give it a try. Thanks.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS