Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: straw for pigs  (Read 3951 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
straw for pigs
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:56:23 pm »
Hi everyone I am new here I am having two pigs this weekend as I am sorting out the sleeping area for them most of the people I have spoke to have said that I need barley straw for them but I have tried a load of places near wear I live but I can't find  any where that has is available they have all said about 2 -3 weeks. My local feed store has what they called normal straw and they have said this would be fine just want another opinion on this as at the end of the day he could say anything to me and I will by it. Would this be ok until I can get some barley straw fot the little pigs

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: straw for pigs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:21:33 pm »
Normal straw may well be barley straw. I'm sure it will be fine and certainly better than any alternative that I can think of  :thumbsup:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:34 pm »
Any type of straw will do - basically you are giving them an area to create a nest that does three things :

1. allows them to a warm material to sleep on
2. Creates a barrier between them and damp/wet areas beneath
3. creates a nest that reduces draughts

We have always used "normal " (wheat) straw, and if the sleeping area is dry also use hay, which doesn't provide damp protection (hay wicks mositure) but does also give them edible bedding which they love!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:50 pm »
we use wheat straw too after a bout of barley mite in the barley straw.

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:35:20 pm »
My KKs are quite happy eating their straw bedding too - not fussy what type  ::)
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:02:34 pm »
I find with mine they eat less of the barley straw than wheat straw so when i do have to use wheat straw i take it into consideration with the amount of feed I give.  :farmer:

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:11:34 pm »
Thank you everyone for the reply very helpfull . :excited:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:29:32 pm »
People like barley straw because its softer than wheat and alledgedly more absorbent, i bed mine on wheat and they're fine, and as oaklands has already said so long as they can get snuggy in it they'll be fine, sure you've done loads of reading up Gav but have a look at http://www.oldspots.org.uk/getting_started.asp for a few tips on your new pigs
hth
mandy :pig:

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:02:49 pm »
i found barley straw is golden, longer stranded so you can fluff it up better whereas wheat straw is paler, shorter and flatter.
i prefer wheat straw for mucking out as it tangles less. iv never used oat straw.
barley straw is often sprayed but i cant remember if this is winter barley or spring barley, but apparently not both, its worth avoiding sprayed barley straw if using as fodder for cattle etc.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:19:16 am »
As the pigs grew I kept adding straw of course and the 2 had a great snug bed in the barn. I cleared it out the other day ( bit of a task) and it made me realise just how much straw we get through. You may have to budget for it !
Fortunateley I do not pay for my straw but do give my neighbour the odd rabbit or duck for his trouble.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS