Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs with no Tags  (Read 3906 times)

PPF

• Joined Jul 2012
Pigs with no Tags
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »
Some of you will have seen my post previously...............I'm new to pig keeping.

My four pigs have arrived, but I noticed that only one has a tiny metal tag in it's ear.  Aren't they all supposed to have tags?  How do I stand as I have two to go to slaughter?

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs with no Tags
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »
I'm not sure where you are PPF, but in Scotland pigs under a year old can move from farm to farm with a temporary mark (no need for tags) but if they're over a year old or have come via a market then they do need to be tagged. I think it's the same for England and Wales - someone will be along soon to confirm  ;)

When they go to slaughter they will need to have your herdmark on them - either with tag or tattoo, but wait til much closer to the time to do that otherwise they lose/rip out the tags.
HTH
Karen

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:51:19 pm »
Yes, now the same set of rules in England Wales & Scotland (until devolution ;) )

Can move Live between holding under 1 year on temporary mark.

Must move to abattoir on the senders holding no. eother tag, tattoo or slapmark, but abattoirs can specify which and all hate tattoo's !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:07:00 pm »
Go for the slapmark, its really simple and the pigs dont get too stressed. The guy from supplies for smallholders is really helpful. Good luck  :thumbsup:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:12:00 pm »
I went down the slapmark road when my two went and yes more expensive for the slapmarker than ear tags, but really easy to do and you will have it for the future use.
....and when you get round to eating the shoulder joint with your heard no on it then it is definately your pork :thumbsup:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:15:55 pm »
I went down the slapmark road when my two went and yes more expensive for the slapmarker than ear tags, but really easy to do and you will have it for the future use.
....and when you get round to eating the shoulder joint with your heard no on it then it is definately your pork :thumbsup:
good point, and you can slap mark the backend as well as the shoulder if  you want to be doubly sure

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:54:37 pm »
From your other post you say they're 18 months old. They should have had tags or tattoos for the move to you in that case. Was the eAML2 completed for the move? Regardless of that they'll have to be marked with your herd mark to go to slaughter.

PPF

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:38:53 pm »
Yes there is an electronic movement, but I don't get to confirm it until tomorrow.

I spoke to Animal Health three times on Friday and they promised to call with my herd no before clos of play.......they didn't!  Spoke to them today and it had been processed, but no one called hence the movement being dated for tomorrow.

I do wonder how the movement will be done if they do not have tags?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:01 pm »

I do wonder how the movement will be done if they do not have tags?
i didn't say this :innocent: but its all theoretical so long as the pigs have numbers to travel on their paperwork theres very little chance of anybody in authority coming and actually checking your pigs ear numbers match the AML. Pigs lost tags in transit  ;) if anyone asks.
Just make sure that the people you are bought them off have some original details (should be on their AML paperwork) You can tag the two going to slaughter with your herdmark & number and if the other two are forever pigs then don't worry whether they have tags or not, most of my keepers have either lost their tags or their tattoos have faded into oblivion, this would only be a problem if i was to move them off my holding.
HTh
mandy :pig:
right now i'll wait for all the rest to come on and rip what i've said to shreds ;D all i'm advocating is common sense which if we had systems fit for purpose would overule all the bureaucratic twaddle we have to put up with!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43:16 pm »
Common sense is exactly what is needed Mandy. I only mentioned the tag thing because technically pigs over 12 months should be properly marked when they move. In reality it doesn't make any difference and as you say most pigs that are kept for breeding etc lose their tags at some point or other. I suppose most people myself included, don't exactly rush out to replace them as soon as they notice they're missing. As far as movements are concerned so long as the same number of pigs arrive as were sent I can't see an issue.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »
HOORAH for common sense

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS