Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PLEASE, I am in need of some house buying advice so I can sleep  (Read 12988 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: PLEASE, I am in need of some house buying advice so I can sleep
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 10:33:31 am »
Well one of the houses that looked spot on, thanks Rosemary!!! it overlooks sea and is lovely inside, is now under offer... I am still torn...love the gate house in Bogside (that name suites me  :innocent: ) BUT....its top of our budget and not much chance of earning extra income from it, although there is land with it.......then there are tons of lovely 70's houses...but my heart is not in them...I lived in a 70's house when my children were small, they loved it but it was like being forced to wear clothing that you do not like...back to the drawing board.......what we/ I want is, a semi rural done  up cottage with or without log burner and with a view...loads of houses have views around here!!! all for no more than £160,000 MUST have a down stairs toilet and if possible downstairs bedroom or separate dinning room......garden can be small providing not overlooked and it would be great to be near dog walks and not too far from a train station........I wish steve could drive  >:(

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2013, 03:25:59 pm »
We lived in Lanarkshire for a few years, 1000 ft up just below the highest village in scotland and all it did was rain or snow or both. Now we live near the coast and it still rains but at least it isn't as bleak
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Reg henderson

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »
hi Iv been following your post and can see where you are coming from , we have our semi detached cottage up for sale , been looking around for a house with more land , seen a few and they sold as we are still waiting to sell, we are now thinking of fixing the price and lowering it to get the move we want . Think the market is slow just now and they say its a buyers market so not to bothered getting lower than market value , as we would gain that back on what we buy. we have had 2 viewers so far so a reduction and fix might get things moving . you might want to think along them lines

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:27 pm »
We have had a few couples interested, only one wanted a B&B but they want a typical tourist place in Callander etc, another chap thought it idea but his partner had not sold her house in S Africa so he has gone back, others are keen but the upkeep is costly...we will take offers......I suggested putting a different fixed price but I was told, firmly NO!!!!! anyway, we are not in a hurry as we find it handy in most ways exept costs!!!! 

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:30 pm »
I think its more the upkeep than the cost thats putting people off...we have viewed a few and ours is not too bad in comparison, just things in a big house cost big amounts........I hope when we do get an offer, our ideal place comes up, we do have our eye on one but its a big compremise!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 10:43:25 pm »
Since we are going into a triple dip recession, house prices are probably going to stabilise or possibly lower.  But that really only affects those trying to get onto the ladder.  I reckon my house has dropped by £25K since I bought it but so have the type of property I'd want to buy, if I ever felt the need to move.  If a house is priced right it will sell. Might take  a while due to lack of confidence in the market and mortgage restrictions, but they all do eventually go unless there is something drastically wrong with them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 11:22:39 pm »
I am a keen follower of house buying and noticed some are flying out the estate agents, not always the cheap ones either....the main problem with older houses is getting mortgages..Banks are not lending and people are more cautious about borrowing....I have a long list of houses that I loved and they all are sold, steve works with a women who sold her newish £300,000 house near Dundee in a matter of days.....Our house has dropped but not so much as some as its more unusual...funny thing is a house I thought about before buying this is also being sold again and this time for more.........houses can now go for around 20 per cent less than asking price and not many go offers over now.......we offered £20,000 less for a house and it was excepted but our sale fell flat. 
We will be realistic with the price we sell for, but we also are not in any great hurry as we are paying off the mortgage and every month it gets less and less......we are also earning an income here that is a bonus......even with a hell of a lot of locals kidnapping our trade ......so many let out rooms on the quiet. I would do that too given the chance.....funny as 2 houses we looked at had been on the market for a while and had a lot of problems, one was not mortgageable and the other had serious flooding issues yet, they are both sold!!! 
Before we moved here people said house prices were dropping,,,,,,that's OK if you do not borrow too much as like you said Anne, your next house has also dropped.....we in that case are non the worse off.....how nice it would be to build one of the wooden kit houses.....no chance? :'(

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 11:37:04 pm »
Not so concerned about selling quick just want to make the right choice when we move as we could have to move quick ......I think I am now more decided that we will stay in the area and possibly have a newer house..we have viewed a few that fit that bill......but as it should be my last move and its more important than other moves I have made due to that.....I do not want to be stuck in a house I am not keen on........thanks for all the help.......watch this space ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 09:57:43 am »
Good luck, Sandy! And fingers crossed you get that offer soon  :thumbsup:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:00 pm »
Well  yet again, someone else is going to put an offer in when they get back off holiday BUT...they cannot just yet as they have a property to sell!!!   I am positive we will be off this year and WILL be sad...so will the people who let out rooms (not other B&B's) as any one who stays and goes either to the pub or shop gets propositioned with very cheap rooms to let out..luckily we do keep some really lovely chaps who prefer to stay in our asylum!!!!! 
I wish I could get excited about moving....anyone have a done up little cottage with views near Stirling, Falkirk, Larbert, Alloa train stations?  :excited: :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS