Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PLEASE, I am in need of some house buying advice so I can sleep  (Read 12986 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
PLEASE, I am in need of some house buying advice so I can sleep
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:42:44 pm »
We have a lot of interest in our house and it may be under offer soon and then again it may not BUT,
we are looking again, trouble is we can move anywhere BUT, it needs to be near a train station or within around 5 miles give or take a mile or 2
I like semi rural with a shop or something but happy rural if on a bus route
I would love to be near a dog walk but at least in walking distance of one
Central Scotland is preferred as we both have loads of job opportunities in the area, up and down from the borders to the highlands.
My dilemma is do we buy brand new or less than 10 years old?
Do we buy charactor that's expensive so will push us financially?
Also I notice loads of houses in S Lanarkshire, some with land, we have around £160,000 tops, before we view any in S Lanarkshire where there are ideal links to both capitals, where would you TAS mates suggest? I have again seen a lot I love but my husband is less than happy moving away from here, Clackmannanshire!!
Ideas? Help?
or do we buy something that needs work but is in an ideal location yet cheap to buy?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: PLEASE, I am in need of some house buying advice so I can sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
We live in an old cottage and I do love where we are. If we had the money we would build a house that was cheap to heat, easy to look after, also must have big rooms and lots of storage space. Buying something that needs work. Well we did that and 17 years later still trying to get finished. Its a constant drain on any money we have. I often think we would have been cheaper knocking things down and starting from scratch. go for something that suits you both and take your time if you can. its a buyers market.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »
Sabrina that's what we think....I just spoke to the Esate agents in the house that needs work and they said, they are open to offers, even so there are more things wrong with that house than things right, the dog friendly bit is not that good their either although its next to a lovely walk the house has steps up etc....all one room for the lounge that's big so would need heating and just a gas fire so we would want a log burner...
I think you just re affirmed...I hate estate agents, there was one who came here but we did not go with them as they were far too pushy, well some houses we like are with them and one says DAMP, but they said no its worm that's cheap to deal with and we know how cheap that is but the report said damp....I hate the fact that that estate agent has a few houses we may look at, still, if we do get an offer we certainly will put an offer in that's lowish and if they do not like it they can lump it!!!
We actually have seen a few tiny houses that would be good but too remote.......I do not want to be in a remote location as an old git!!!!  :innocent:
A large house takes large money to do things like decorate, re carpet or heat.....at least that's def one house struck off, even if it was dirt cheap!!!!!Thanks :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:03:41 pm »
Location, location, location - it's the thing you can't change.

What about this?

http://www.tspc.co.uk/details.asp?id=105856

Or this http://www.tspc.co.uk/details.asp?id=104964

Or this http://www.tspc.co.uk/details.asp?id=105225

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »
I adore the one with sea views, right up my street, can see me sitting on the decking with a glass, bottle or single malt  :excited: :excited: .... :wave:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:33:13 pm »
My three houses, 40 hektare cost 13000 pound and it is 1 mile from a railway station :roflanim:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »
And I did get the right nr. of nuls behind the 13 :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:37:09 pm »
OK, put the deposite down Rosemary....... :eyelashes:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:52:47 pm »
Carsnootie is full of golfers HGL, Rosemary is trying to fill it with smallholder types  :D .

What about the Big Country HGL, Perthshire area / Stirling Area, great hills and nice and central. 

With my architect's head on I'd say think of your running costs - newer is warmer and that's where your money will go and buy as much land as you can - you can always rent it out and have an income.  Get a return from whatever you buy, even if it's extra kennels you can rent out or a querky shed you can rent out for 'glamping'. 

If you buy on the edge of a village you might be allowed to sell a bit of your garden as a house plot. 

Don't get swept away by something just because it's fab - there are lots of fabs out there.  And also look at the for rent market - lots of people would possibly sell you what they are having to rent out. 

And check out small time solicitor/estate agents, they may have a gem that's gone un-noticed because they're not in the big windows  :wave: 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:09 pm »
well iv just cut the wood for my new build and i can say that things are very expensive pellet stove under Flore heating mains cable corner glass etc the newer the better 5 carpinters 500 pound a day to make the timber frame

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:40:25 pm »
So if you have £160,00 and say bought a house and plot of land for £50,000 you would have £110,000 to do it up as you would like - buy bits for the outbuildings ( included in the purchase price) , BE A SMALLHOLDER  and have a £100,000 in the bank. If you buy a good size plot and have outbuildings for the animals etc then your day to day costs are minimal. Then you may even have the chance to sell stuff or have other income .Bingo ! - no work. We did it and have just 12 years before the pension kicks in.
A final thought. So many people on this site complain about mud, snow and dark winter days. There are places that offer fewer challenges than the far north.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:34:53 pm »
It's always a difficult one, HGL, but I would agree with goosepimple, that you go for something cheaper to run and get land.  Good luck.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:47 pm »
Oh I love perthshire and stirling area but also love around Dundee..in fact I have seen loads of areas I love, most land is in Lanarkshire, we moved near to Strathaven at first, that was cute little place and near to Hamilton, Lanark etc.........I never thought of asking about rental properties to buy, I did think about making a little note to post in areas I did like and looked in our price range as some people may want to move but waiting until the market picks up, if they got a buyer lined up they could save on costs.  I am trying to persuade Mr to move to a different area......must be near a train as he does not drive YET......

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:07 pm »
Difficult, old or new house? Character charm and lovely high ceilings in the olds, but wind tunnels hard to heat, problems if listed etc.  New houses? Yuk, all the same, no character, over insulated so the damp stays inside.  I'd go for an earthship if i were able to choose, not in lanarkshire though, too many old mines that suddenly cave in, especially with all the wet, and there are so many unsavoury places in Lanarkshire too, although there must be good bits somewhere.  I spoke to someone here in Somerset who had left lanarkshire as her village had been filled with rough tough families from glasgow who were paid thousands to move out into the village, then turned it into a slum.  I just can't think of a nice bit of lanarkshire i'm afraid, though the new market is grand, well it won't be so new now but it was when i lived in scotland. Sleep well!!
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:52 pm »
My three houses, 40 hektare cost 13000 pound and it is 1 mile from a railway station :roflanim:

Really???? :huff:  nothing like that around here.......maybe we should widen our field....

so Lanarkshire is out then? no wonder there are so many cheap places there..I loved it where we were in S Lanarkshire...it WAS mostly raining though  :raining: :raining:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS