Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Concrete base for small stable block  (Read 7920 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Concrete base for small stable block
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:18 pm »
not sure if this is the right bit to post this on however .....

just had what I think is the most outrageous quote to do a concrete base for a small stable block ... don't want to admit the figure in case it turns out to be the norm right enough

can anyone give me an idea of what I should be expecting to pay for 38'x20',  150mm deep concrete on 6" hardcore underneath,  reinforced with steel mesh, and with perimeter drain leading to small soakaway (1cubic metre)   Apologies for the mix of mm and inches(!)   Is anyone out there in Ayrshire interested in doing the job?!

can't wait to hear what others think is reasonable

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Concrete base for small stable block
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
I've just done a very rough calculation and come out at a figure of around £2000 for just materials.It would probably take a couple of guys 2 days to get it done,that's if the ground has been cleared and the hardcore is in and level. Add in transport costs for everything,drainage,shuttering et al,and if the quote comes in under £4000 then I'd be happy with that
 150mm seems a bit excessive unless you're driving tractors over it,with the re-inforcing steels,you could go to 100mm and save a bit of cash,but not much....Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:00:14 pm »
Mr Ree    Great stuff    thanks      The quote was £6480 PLUS VAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   shockerooneee  Husband spoke to a friend last night and he also reckoned the hardcore and concrete would be around £2000 for materials and that overall could expect to pay around £4k so great to hear you have a similar view.   What do you think of my quote then ??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25:36 pm »
Was that the only ones who quoted for you?  If I have something big to do like that I get at least two, preferably three.  That is a huge difference!  Also if you get a contractor to do it and they order the materials they may charge mark up on them, so perhaps you could order the materials yourselves.  We had a hard-standing built for a garage some years ago and that was what we did.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:28:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice Annie.   Have another chap who was supposed to come over tonight to provide a quote but he phoned and put it off until tomorrow so hopefully he will turn up and I've been given another contact through a colleague at work.  It's frustrating how long these things take to organise!  before you know it another month has gone by.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS