Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Entertoxemia  (Read 10535 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Entertoxemia
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:14 am »
Just lost my first ever goat to entertoxemia.  Horrible.

Symptoms were - we found her down yesterday morning, took her to vet who gave her anitbiotic, anti-inflammatory/painkiller and steroid.  syringed a bit of water every so often, had her in a nice warm haybed.  Checked on her in the night, still alive but this morning called the vet to put her down as she was definitely worse with fluid coming out of nose and noisy lungs.

So sad - I bottle fed her as well as she was one of triplets. just 10 mths old.

The vet has advised re-vaccinating them all with lambivac even though last vaccination was end Nov.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Entertoxemia
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:22:42 am »
Oh no - I'm so sorry  :hug:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:57 am »
Awfully sad news. It sounds so sudden there's not much you could have done.  :bouquet:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:47 am »
Sorry to hear that  :(  I'm guessing if she was only 10 months she wasn't pregnant? Definitely not been a good year for these kind of things

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:40:05 am »
Was it enterotox or pasteurella? The noisy lungs and fluid coming out of her nose would possibly point to that rather than enterotoxaemia. Did she have diaorrhea - definite sign of enterotox.

If pasteurella, then vaccinating with Lambivac will not do aynthing as it doesn't contain the pasteurella vaccine. For that you would have to separately vaccinate with Ovipast+ (same routine as Lambivac, but only annual booster rather than 6 months). I have just done that with all of mine, including the adults.

I lost a kid in October to enterotox, despite them being up to date with their Lambivac. All of my kids have been re-boostered with Lambivac too.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:18:05 pm »
So sorry Fiffixx, very sad for you  :hug:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:39:36 pm »
So whats the vaccination timing for these things now.I gave up when they told us to vaccinate every 6wks, money for old rope for the drug companies...are any of them legal for goats anyway?Countrycrap Stores won't sell you anything that isn't liscenced for goats which means zilch choice

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 12:49:05 pm »
Saw what happened over on Twitter fifi, so sorry  :(  Always hard to lose one and you tried so hard.

JJ - if you go to countrywide, tell them its for your sheep.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 12:53:44 pm »
we had to do that too, the girl behind the counter was a star..lol asked us with a big wink if it was for our sheep  :innocent: luckily we have them too so not a complete lie
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 01:28:47 pm »
Is it worth asking for a post mortem?  She wasn't scouring at all - so should I ask for the ovipast as well?

She was definitely having a lot of water come out of her nose/mouth - sopping under her head all the time, even changing hay regularly.

All tidied up now in the barn and she is waiting to be collected tomorrow.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:49:47 pm »
For your own peace of mind a PM might help but I'm no expert. I wish we'd had  a PM done on Ronnie who we lost at about 10 months. Never quite being sure what killed him has frustrated me ever since  :-\  also the other goats need to be protected from 'whatever' it is so worth knowing x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 02:32:17 pm »
So whats the vaccination timing for these things now.I gave up when they told us to vaccinate every 6wks, money for old rope for the drug companies...are any of them legal for goats anyway?Countrycrap Stores won't sell you anything that isn't liscenced for goats which means zilch choice

I've not heard of any vaccine for goats that you need to give to every 6 weeks ::)

Lambivac is a 6 monthly vaccination and is licensed for goats, but it doesn't cover pasturella, hence you need ovipast as well if you want to protect against pasturella.

HeptavacP is not licensed for goats, but is used by a number of goatkeepers as it cover everything that Lambivac does, and the pasturella bit as well. Booster for it are only yearly.

When you vaccinate for the first time, you need to give another dose after 4-6 weeks, and then move onto standard boosters (yearly or six monthly depending on which one).

One thing I would say, is that having witnessed a goat kid with tetanus, that it is absolutely worth vaccinating even if it is just to protect against this.  I would even go so far to as to say I consider it a bit cruel to not give your animals protection against that.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »
Is it worth asking for a post mortem?  She wasn't scouring at all - so should I ask for the ovipast as well?

I don't think it will give you any more peace of mind - the speed with which booth enterotox and pastereulla kill mean that in most cases there is nothing you can do once you have symptoms. My wether kid was bright, just some diaorhhea and his pupils were not dilating even in the evening, I took him to the vet who didn't think anything serious was amiss, gave him antibioitc, anti-inflammatory etc etc and even so he died in the morning on the way to the vets. One thing with enterotx is tthat they are in agony and really scream. It's the most horrrible sound. With pasteurella they seem to fade away more.

You can get Ovipast from your merchants (they may have to order it in), comes in the same size bottles as Lambivac and is treated the same way. You can vaccinate about a week after the Lambivac booster. If you want some immunity to go from dam to kid you would have to time it that the second dose (of the initial course) is given about 3 weeks before kidding and  a week different from the Lambivac booster.

It is only this year that I have heard of more cases of goats (and lambs) dying from one of the clostridial diseases or pasteuella - despite being vaccinated in some cases. It seems that the weather/dampness/lack of sunshine all contributed to that. Other thing I noticed that the kid of mine that died also had a bout of cocci in June. It was quickly treated, but even so it may have made him more vulnerable to other things in the future...

It's very sad and really upsets you, but I think there is not much you could have done to prevent it or treat it.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 05:57:18 pm »
Can anyone confirm with with some degree of knowledge how often to vaccinate goats? I asked my vet when I ordered the lamivac and he was adamant I only had to do it annually.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 06:24:19 pm »
Thanks for all the advice - I'll go and order the Lambivac and Ovipast tomorrow from vet.  Does are due in 3 weeks so if I lambivac Tuesday, Ovipast a week later - should be OK? 

Kids presumably won't get full immunity so I'll have to vaccinate them....at 6ish weeks old I'm guessing?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS