Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune pigs  (Read 22700 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Kune Kune pigs
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:49 am »
They are also friendly with ducks!

HappyHippy

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 11:42:46 am »
Another question! Are Kunes as hardy as say, the OSB's? We do not have any barns so they would have to stay out all year, although they would of course have nice warm arks with plenty of straw. And if they are cuddled up to the big ginger, then they would be positively toasty!
In a word YES  ;D
Two winters ago the temps here were reaching -20C, the water was frozen for 6 weeks solid and even when given the option of a nice warm, dry shed our boar didn't want to come in - he stayed out the whole time.
They 'hair up' in the winter and if it gets really cold we give extra hard feed (only 3lbs per day max) and warm sugar beet to help. But given a dry, well strawed arc they're every bit as hardy as the rest (even more so than my Large Blacks  ::))

As a meat pig the results I've been getting are good  :thumbsup: (Good enough that we've expanded our breeding herd of Kunes while we've had to cut back on the bigger breeds  ;) :innocent:)
When raising for pork, we feed 1lb of hard feed a day, up to around 10 months (depending on the time of year - if it's winter when they get to 10 months they get a bit more food) after this grass, fruit and veg and a bit of hay just to keep them munching.
But even counting 10 whole months of feeding (assuming you get them at 8 weeks) it's a total of 300lbs of feed consumed to give a liveweight of approx 70Kg per pig, versus a minimum of 420lbs for a 'big' pig. Add to that less damage to your ground and ease of keeping (they're soooo docile and friendly) - they've got a lot going for them  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 02:03:57 pm »
I do like these pictures of the spotty ginger Kunes! One like that would be a little "mini me" of our big ginger Flo.
Im trying to get to grips with this idea of not feeding pigs nuts! So, if I was to feed a Kune hay (given the scenario they couldnt be put on grass permanently), would I just put in as much as they wanted or restrict it to a certain amount per day? And would the big girl be likely to tuck in too? More likely she would want to tear the hay apart and throw it about - this is exactly what she did to the pile of dirty hay from our sheep!
Sorry for the many questions but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a great idea to get a Kune companion (or 2). I shall have a look at the breed society website, any other good sources of info 9other than here of course!) ;)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 08:22:39 pm »
Thanks guys :) I think I have more photographs of my kunekunes than of anything else  :excited:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 08:39:07 pm »
im the same ladygrey, when people ask to see pics of my daughters on my phone, i need to flick through quite a lot of piggie photos although our puppy is quite photogenic too!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56:11 am »
Thanks guys :) I think I have more photographs of my kunekunes than of anything else  :excited:
The same here too!
Though they aren't on my screen-saver - that's designated to my baby Merlin  ;)
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 03:16:44 pm »
Though they aren't on my screen-saver - that's designated to my baby Merlin
Magic :)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 11:06:46 am »
OK. You've all convinced me. It will be Kune Kune weaners this year.

Now, does anyone know any good breeders in Somerset or Devon? :thinking:

HappyHippy

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 11:38:14 am »
OK. You've all convinced me. It will be Kune Kune weaners this year.

Now, does anyone know any good breeders in Somerset or Devon? :thinking:
Oh, there are a few  ;)
Here's a list to the breeders page on the BKKPS website - have a scroll through, they don't seem to be in any particular order.
http://www.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk/Breeders.aspx
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »
Brilliant!

Many thanks :thumbsup:

ChyPacas

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 04:41:04 pm »
Hi,

Friends of ours left the country and we inherited their 3 kunes, 2 girls and a castrated male (ginger, lowenna and blue). They are 17 months old and very sweet having been hand reared. Having had them for 2 months we have seen we just don't have enough land for them. They need more space.

The girls would be lovely to breed from. I would be very happy for someone with a county holding number and the registration number for keeping pigs from animal health to have them for free and their house (not the best state but serviceable). You would need to collect them yourself  and also to be registered to transport pigs.

https://www.gov.uk/animal-identification-movement-and-tracing-regulations#registering-your-pigs-sheep-and-goats

If anyone is interested I can post photos. I am only posting here for the moment as I want them to go to people who will care for them properly.

Many thanks,

Steph

ps we are west of Penzance Cornwall so it is a long way from most places :)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 08:56:03 pm »
I have 2 kune kune pigs and they graze with the sheep in the summer & have been known to pop into the horses paddocks when they think I'm not looking  :innocent: . They're great with our dogs too and Harry always comes when he's called  :excited: . I think they're great

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 10:25:55 am »
Went to look at some Kunes over the weekend and I have fallen head over heels in love with them. They were so lovely tempered and so cute and small. The pigs were about 5-6 months old and they were the size of some of the big pig 8 wk old weaners we've had in the past! They were so hairy too, we reckon we could put a pair of horns on one of the gingers and it could pass as a Highland cow. Reckon we will be having a couple of them in a few weeks time  :excited:

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 03:22:47 pm »
Hi, sorry, only just picked up this post.
We have 3 pet kunekunes, lovely animals. Ours do root quite a bit though ( although our ground is quite wet so worse for that).
I only joined in to say - don't put your pigs with your sheep. Sheep can't tolerate the copper in pig food, but remember that the copper comes out in to the pig  poo on to the field, where the sheep graze.
I've had to look in to this because I wanted to rotate my fields and put my sheep in the old pig field, but the copper can stay in the ground for ages.
Some sheep are more susceptible to copper poisoning.
Good luck.
Can't beat a sunny day with sheep, pigs and chickens
J xxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS