Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune pigs  (Read 22716 times)

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
Kune Kune pigs
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:08:17 pm »
Hello,
 does anyone here have Kune Kune pigs ? What are they like ? I would appreciate any opinions/experiences,
please.

HappyHippy

Re: Kune Kune pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »
I keep and breed Kunekune pigs, as well as other 'big' breeds of pig.

I'm probably ever so slightly biased, but I think they're great  :thumbsup: ;D
Friendly, easy to manage, less damaging to your ground than the big breeds (they do root from time to time, such as in winter - but the damage they do is far less than longer snouted breeds  ;)) cheaper to keep, and producing lovely pork.
We raise them on 1lb of pig nuts per day, they have access to plenty of grazing (or hay/hayledge when there's no grass) and a good range of fruit & veg and they do really well on it. Ours are usually ready for slaughter around 10-12 months old, when they've typically reached weights of around 70-80Kg. They're not too fat (a common misconception, or it might be due to those 'feed me' eyes they're so good at  ::) ;))
We have also sold some into (carefully vetted) outdoor pet homes, they're great at keeping the grass down and ever so friendly, especially around kids.
You do need plenty of ground for them though - at least half an acre for 2 pigs I'd say. They're not a breed that does well on high rations in small spaces.
HTH but if you want to know more just ask away !
Karen  :wave:

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:41:20 pm »
Thank you, HappyHippy.
Is it easy to train them? Do you think I could keep them in a stable at night and have them in a paddock with
sheep daytime?
The most important piece of information in your answer was that they are friendly and great with children -
I might get two Kune Kune pigs for a petting farm - would be this year's new attraction (:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:10:52 pm »
they are lovely, lovely pigs.
Be sure that you do train them, especially if they are around children, e.g. if hand feeding.

And its essential to get them from a reputable breeder, there's alot of so called micro/pet/teacup mongrels out there.
we've "rescued" some before (kunes) but had they have had poor health and short lifespans....
:pig:
Little Blue

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:33:39 pm »
I keep and breed kunekune pigs :)

I dont know if they are easy to "train" as I havnt trained them to do anything! some of them know thier names :)

They eat much less than another piggie and I find them so much easier to work with than the bigger pigs are due to the size, although they are small pigs, but they are still big strong animals and know thier own minds!

I have 2 boars, 3 castrates and 2 pregnant sows (well one is a gilt) at the moment and I love them :)  :love: I had a gilt who was 3 years old and wouldnt get pregnant and she went off last week and is now all packed up in my freezer and tastes amazing :), also sent a few off for mini hog roasts

They are so good with children and LOVE being with people, they will come and lie down with the children in the field with heads on laps, they are such lovely lovely animals and so so clever.

Photo of kiri in the summer

Crumpet in a paddock, she grazes it neater than a sheep does, makes it look like a cricket pitch!

Crumpet and Kiri after having a nice wallow in the summer

Asking the dog for a belly rub

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:30:10 pm »
Super easy to train  :thumbsup: (they're like big labradors - driven by their bellies !)
A bunch of grapes or pieces of apple work a treat  ;) Just train them as you would a dog. Ours all know their names too, and moving them is an easy operation even if they're not trained (as long as they're hungry and you've got the food  ;D)
Be VERY wary of hand feeding them though, like Little Blue we've also rescued quite a lot of Kunes and you can spot the ones who've been hand fed, because they try to bite your hands  ::) Unfortunately none of these ones are still with us, because once they start doing it, it's an impossible habbit to break  :( and not a trait I can afford to have in any of my stock because of the kids. Always put their 'treat' in a trug and feed from that  ;)

I think they'd be fine in with sheep during the day and stabled at night, you would need to give them some kind of shelter in the field though for during the day. And you might want to look into vaccinating them against colostriduim (done with Lambivac, I think) as this can cause sudden death in pigs and I think it's quite common in sheep - but I'm not a sheep keeper, so can't tell you for sure  :-\
Good luck and keep us posted
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 04:48:58 pm »
Ditto with all the above  :thumbsup:
They are just so easy to keep & probably the most "multi-purpose" pig breed.  Ideal for the 1st-time pig keeper (we've also kept some of the bigger breeds for the freezer, but decided to stay just with the KKs due to health reasons) - great "outdoor pets", companion pigs, make great pork, fun to show & are good mums.
Again, as Karen has already said, I advise all new owners not to hand feed them, especially those going as "petters/pets" & homes with children, as they can get "nippy". 
Be aware - if you decide to get some KKs, they are VERY addictive  :eyelashes:
 :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:18:05 pm »
Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated.
I am going to see two Kune Kune girl candidates on Tuesday - - I am hopeless with animals, so let's see
what happens ...
I have had White Large/Saddlebacks/Curly-coated pigs before but never Kune Kunes.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 06:18:48 pm »
Hi Pipsa :wave:
I have 3 KKs (from happyhippy) and they are indeed the most adorable wee things  :thumbsup:
2 are destined for the freezer and one is for keeping/breeding
They are so cute and very friendly and not nibbly at all, but I never hand feed them. They are great with kids and just generally love attention and tummy rubs. They are really easy to keep and great fun.
Can not say what the pork is like - yet, but soon...... :innocent:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »
Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated.
I am going to see two Kune Kune girl candidates on Tuesday - - I am hopeless with animals, so let's see
what happens ...
I have had White Large/Saddlebacks/Curly-coated pigs before but never Kune Kunes.
After those "big pigs" your KKs will be just so easy (& cheap  ;)  ) to keep.  If you're looking at petting/"pet" pigs, I would recommend castrates rather than gilts, especially around children - KKs mature sexually very early (from about 5 months onwards) & the females cycle every 3 weeks & can get VERY hormonal - just imagine severe PMT with teeth!
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:04:14 pm »
  the females cycle every 3 weeks & can get VERY hormonal - just imagine severe PMT with teeth

:roflanim: :roflanim: I'd better start watching my back

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:59:51 pm »
Big fan of Kune Kunes too, dont know if anyone has mentioned if you were feeding them in the same area as the sheep that the pig feed has copper in it, not good for sheep.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:47 pm »
Big fan of Kune Kunes too, dont know if anyone has mentioned if you were feeding them in the same area as the sheep that the pig feed has copper in it, not good for sheep.
Eek! - now that I didn't know - ooer!
Now, I'm sure when we were looking to expand our female bloodlines a few years ago, the "breeder" was giving the piglets sheep nuts  :o  - there must have been a reason why we didn't buy anything from her - hm  :-\  oh yes - she was asking £200 per piglet too, without registrations  ::)
I think it's the same "breeder" that's now involved in the "micro/mini pig" trade up here  :furious:

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:55 pm »
So would you then recommend to have two sisters OR a castrated male with a female ?
(PMT-problems made even my partner roll his eyes, hahah)
and thank you again for your comments - I should have asked you before with all my animals.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:21 pm »
Eek! - now that I didn't know - ooer!
Now, I'm sure when we were looking to expand our female bloodlines a few years ago, the "breeder" was giving the piglets sheep nuts  :o  - there must have been a reason why we didn't buy anything from her - hm  :-\  oh yes - she was asking £200 per piglet too, without registrations  ::)
I think it's the same "breeder" that's now involved in the "micro/mini pig" trade up here  :furious:

I once had to buy sheep nuts for the pigs as my supplier had not got their order through due to snow and I was almost out of pig nuts. So for about 2 days they had sheep nuts mixed with the remaining pig nuts and I think that this is actually fine. The vitamins and minerals will not be quite right for the pigs, but short term, will do no harm. But I think that it is not good to swap feeds the other way around due to the copper in pig food not being good for sheep or something like that!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS