Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Felted soaps  (Read 6271 times)

HappyHippy

Felted soaps
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:39:21 am »
I've been playing trying out new ideas  ;)
Still got to perfect the felting, but for a first go I'm quite happy  :thumbsup:

Have ordered some white merino tops, I think they'll look better being a bit lighter  :thinking:
Will keep you all posted  :excited:
Karen

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Felted soaps
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:33 am »
Very pretty  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:33:38 pm »
They are lovely, unusual too  :thumbsup:

And if they are anything like the little piggy soaps Santa must have got from you for the boys, they will be lovely to use  :thumbsup: ( but you won't be able to play The Three Little Pigs story in the bath    ;D )

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:15:15 pm »
Very nice  :excited:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:02 pm »
Is that hand made soap wrapped in felt HH?  They look great but not quite sure what I'm looking at.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
Is that hand made soap wrapped in felt HH?  They look great but not quite sure what I'm looking at.
Yes, kinda Goosepimple  :) The fibres are felted onto the soap, instead of being felted, then wrapped round it.
It doesn't need to be handmade soap though - it'll work with any soap  ;)
The idea behind them is that as the soaps shrink, the felt does too and at the end you'll be left with a ball of nice smelling felt. They'll also be less slippy and easier to hold onto in the bath too  :thumbsup:

And if they are anything like the little piggy soaps Santa must have got from you for the boys, they will be lovely to use  :thumbsup: ( but you won't be able to play The Three Little Pigs story in the bath    ;D )
Ah, so that's who Santa was buying them for then  ;) Glad you like them  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 10:18:24 pm »
Clever idea.

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:14 pm »
Hi HH,
They look great!
I'd be interested in how you did them, I'm going to take some fleeces into my children's Pre-School and they're going to make them for Mother's Day, only I haven't made any yet.... Still onto the to do list!  :innocent:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:51:36 pm »
Sort of a flannel and soap in one..they are lovely

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:42:28 pm »
I get the same sort of thing when i drop the soap and it gets covered in dog hairs !

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
Re: .
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:31:39 am »
I get the same sort of thing when i drop the soap and it gets covered in dog hairs !

Nice!  ;)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:26:36 am »
I llove them! What a great idea, was it something you thought of or is it an established thing to do?
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:57:28 am »
Great idea HH, hand made soap tends to splodge everywhere after a bit, so pressumably this keeps it as an intact blob?  They look fab - what are you going to do with the nice smelling blob at the end - pop them in your underwear drawer to make your undies smell nice?  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 01:36:09 pm »
I'd love to have thought of this idea, but sadly no - I saw it on the web  ;)
Here's the link http://www.mielkesfarm.com/felt_soap.htm
Any bar of soap can be felted, so any of you who have fibre (I believe merino felts best for this, but will be trying other fibres too) can do it - super easy  :thumbsup:

what are you going to do with the nice smelling blob at the end - pop them in your underwear drawer to make your undies smell nice?  :D
You could do that, I'm hoping to use them to make little figures or decorations of some sort - the theory is that there won't be any soap left at the end only felt. But I'll have to see how it goes  :innocent:

You'll need to send me your address again Russ, I'll send you a slightly softer version to try  :-*

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 11:49:51 am »
Go for merino to begin with as it is the easiest to felt. But coarser wool gives a better "scrub"soap :innocent:
Again carded wool is easier than tops. I thought all soaps could felt but I was at a market one day and a woman swore blind she hadn't been able to felt on soap. Now had she used Superwash wool? or maybe glycerine soap or something? I don't know
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:04:24 pm by renee »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS