Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grapes  (Read 35933 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Grapes
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:52:58 pm »
In this climate?

Really?

Outdoors?

Well I'm gonna give it a try... Wish me luck

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Re: Grapes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:05:49 am »
weve got a big grape growing along the fence in our back garden down here in kent and its doing fine! it broke through the fence into the neighbours garden last year! it did have grapes on it as well until we forgot and let the chickens out for a wander! they had a great time lol!

Good luck with yours!

:)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:56:31 pm »
we put our vine outside last year  and it flourished (no grapes yet though) goodluck
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:30:41 am »
Well I've got 5, a combination of red and white, some eaters and some for wine  ;D along with a lemon bush and an orange bush. I've given them a sheltered yet bright south-facing spot against the stable so keeping my fingers crossed. If it all goes to pot then it just gives me an incentive to invest in a new greenhouse...

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:25 am »
well i have a grape bush (up here in sunny (not) scotland)

linz

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 10:03:59 am »
I have never been on the fruit section so here we go for what it is worth.  I am not a gardener but have inherited grape vines at two of the houses I have lived in and bought one for the third.  In my limited knowlegde, I think you can buy some more hardy that others so they are out there to suit most situations.

The one we bought from a young plant, we were told to cut off all of the fruit for the first three years so that all the energy went into growing rather than fruit production.  We were also told to cut it back every year two thirds back into the the new growth.  It actually worked and on its forth year we had amazing fruit to eat.  We still had to be selective of the amount of fruit we allowed to grow on it - that I cannot remember the math - just keeping one bunch per section I think or something like that.

We bought that one to give us natural shade in our outdoor veranda. For the first year we completely covered the roof inside with beach mats which was a cheap option and had a natural look and kept the area cool.  For the next two years with new growth we removed a mat or two and by year four the vine had completely covered the roof space and looked glorious. From then on it just needed pruning and thinning and we loved it.  We had to leave it behind to move here in year six and inherited a really old established vine which grows on the wall of the house.  Unfortunately it is in such a position that it is impossible to get to, so we just look at it and that is all.  Perhaps we will indulge ourselves when we move again and I will get John to build me a pergolia or another veranda type construction to house another one. 

Judging by the look on his face, perhaps not!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:20 pm »
Kate, you really must stop giving John all these jobs.
Anyway he might come round this time, especially if the grapes were to be made into wine after!!!!!

Carole

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »
just got another grape bush and NOW have a completed fence to grow things on lol

so am gona start putting up wires etc for climbers and it has cut down the wind A LOT

Linz

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 05:17:16 am »
I bought "Hardy" vines but it appears the frost got them :(
I'm due a new greenhouse for my birthday so will have another bash. There's absolutely no green left, just what looks like a dead twig. Is there any hope?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:49:39 am »
Arh are they just sleeping ?

I thought i had lost mine to frost and in the garden lol

but found it the other day and picked it up and showed hubby and said ' Oh it dead' and then just to double check you get a pieces of masking tape and take a figure nail (attacked to figure hopefully) and scrap a little bit of the bark away if it is green it's alive but if it is dead wood colour than it is dead . The masking tape it just to cover up the scratch just in case you have taken to much bark away just take a small pieces and place it around the scratched area :).

This does work i almost chopped a olive tree in half once quickly taped it back up and it is still going after 2/3 years :)

Linz

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:03:47 am »
Looks like some new shoots developing so all is not lost  :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:09:16 pm »
we had quite a lot of grapes on a vine on a south facing wall 2 years ago, but they never ripened. Nothing at all last year. I just bought a red variety...My friend has them in a greenhouse and they were superb! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 06:18:32 pm »
just got another grape bush and NOW have a completed fence to grow things on lol

so am gona start putting up wires etc for climbers and it has cut down the wind A LOT

Linz

where did you get it from?  I mighty have a go at grapes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 07:08:40 pm »
it was lidls and it was a black soyano (spelling) long time ago,
it is still alive check yesterday and it is green under the 'bark'

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:44:34 pm »
Is it too late to prune them now??? The book says November / December but I would love to hear from your experience...:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS