Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cob standing out  (Read 3690 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
cob standing out
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:26 pm »
we have a coloured cob with lots of feather that won't go in his stable to stand even in a blizzard he stands behind the wall
 if I shut him in he is calm and relaxed but if I leave the door open he goes in . eats his hay and bucket then goes back out into the storm
 he is rugged but I worry in this weather the weather was so bad last night I couldn't get down the field to get him in . he had been in through the night as his bucket was empty but no droppings in there so he can't have been in long
Graham

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: cob standing out
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:47:58 pm »
I would only worry if he is worried. It sounds as if he is happy as larry even if we wouldn't be in his position!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
Our lot will choose to be out pretty much regardless of the weather. As long as he has the option, I wouldn't worry :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »
Cold bloods generally prefer the 'elements', and as previously said, he's got the option, clearly isn't scared of coming in or being shut in, he just chooses to stand out - he'll be fine  :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »
Thanks, Its sort of put my mind at rest . I have always had  finer horses that needed pampering and nothing would keep them out of their stables if the weather was bad
Its raining here tonight and as usual he is standing at the bottom of the field behind the wall. he has hay and a bucket in the stable so if he is hungry he will  go in  :-\
Stupid thing is when I am through the back of the barn and he can hear me clanking the feed bins he goes into the stable to look through the back hatch to see what I am up too  ::)
Graham

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:51:41 pm »
My Fell was the same. The sheep would use the field shelter, but she would just use the wall as a wind break.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »
Yep, most natives given a choice will use the buildings as a windbreak but not go in them unless there's food or they're soaked from all directions  ;) Ponies like to see what's around them rather than being boxed in, comes from being a prey species I suppose..

If he isn't scared to go in and just prefers the better view, think yourself lucky you have his best interests at heart and he is letting you off the mucking out  ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:31:56 pm »
He would probably do the same thing if he was not rugged lol, these beasties are so much tougher than we give them credit for.  Daughter has a tb which lived all its life indoors till it came to us, weaved like hell and would not keep weight on.  She now lives out with the other so'n'so's, most relaxed ned on the planet and as round as a butter ball with only ad lib hay and restricted grazing.  our  warmblood also lives out (both are rugged by the way tho' i think WB could manage without) but WB would stand in a stable all day long with the door wide open and never leave.  They are all different, we just worry too much about them.   :horse: :horse: :horse:
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:21:43 pm »
I wish my cob was keener to stay outside - he wants to come in no later than 4pm both in summer and winter.  If you try and leave him out longer than this he will revert to kicking the gate until you give in and will stand looking in the kitchen window to grab your attention.  He absolutely loves his cosy stable!  My previous horse - an arab, hated being inside and lived out in all winds and weathers with a suitable rug on.   

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 05:48:49 pm »
My old mule Picasso is at present standing in the sheltered side of the barn (Note:Not IN the barn ::) )
When he first came over from Spain un his first winter I bought him a rug as he's come in October and I was worried he hadn't has time to grow a coat.After the sixth time of having to hunt round the farm and pick it out of the mud still all done up,I finally took the hint and now use it to cover the car windows in time of frost instead ;D 

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:15 pm »
All my dads cobs, including a very heavy and hairy coloured gelding, are out all year round and much prefer it. I only have the little Sec C mare in as she is getting on a bit and drops condition in the winter quite quickly. The native breeds seem to thrive better being out.

Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:09:38 pm »
As your cob has a choice, he is opting to stay out - so he can obviously cope with the weather.

We have just had a lot of snow, and driving winds, and  six of my Dales and  Fell ponies are out unrugged - much to the horror of my neighbouring horse owners at the livery yard, who have  heavily rugged warmbloods, who all disappeared into stables at the first sign of snow.  My herd just tucked in under the wall.  They do have big hairy coats, long manes, and very long tails, which must help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS