Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where do they think their meat comes from? Does it magically appear in packets?  (Read 5236 times)

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
even more strange since taking the signs down completely over the christmas period we have had orders for 4 whole pigs.

the only problem being we have none ready and we had decided not to fatten any meat pigs this year with the exception of our own use. so we are keeping other smallholders busy with our pork orders.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
I have a friend from work whose neighbours raised a couple of weaners in a small paddock next to a public footpath.  When the weaners had gone someone left a wreath on the gate with a note attached! 

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
People are a strange lot. My dear old Mum is a fully paid up meat eater but she won't eat anything from an animal she knew when it was alive. No amount of explaining the benefits will convince her. She's quite happy to tuck into a nice joint from tesco but she won't touch our pork!

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
My 7 year old daughter cried the firt time we had chops from our pigs, but now she shows her friends round the pigs and proudly tells them which are for eating. It was the bacon 'what did it' for her ;D

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
 My wife went the other way too, she was originally a city girl and almost a vegetarian.  But since we raised the two pigs in 2012 she is thrilled with idea that she is eating her own well cared for (and very) tasty pork.  She even managed to get into a heated discussion with her workmates over Christmas about the ethics of rearing her meat.
She still doesn't like to touch raw meat though, and the kids keep trying to blackmail me by threatening to tell her what she thinks is bacon hanging in the utility room are cured and air dried pig cheeks.
Kids are very happy, they like short term pets they can eat, my 12 year old daughter is about to start breeding rabbits for meat. 

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
People are a strange lot. My dear old Mum is a fully paid up meat eater but she won't eat anything from an animal she knew when it was alive. No amount of explaining the benefits will convince her. She's quite happy to tuck into a nice joint from tesco but she won't touch our pork!
Ironic isnt it, since she would be doing a lot more for animal welfare by insisting on ONLY eating animals she knew when they were alive....:-))

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Ironic isnt it, since she would be doing a lot more for animal welfare by insisting on ONLY eating animals she knew when they were alive....:-))

My Mum's the same.  She knows it's not logical but you can't help how you feel, and that's how she feels.  So she doesn't get introduced to the meat pigs  ;)

I find it's pointless trying to argue anyone into a different point of view.  I state facts, my own opinion, and that I know it's a very individual thing that each person has to decide for themselves.

Actually,
I find it's pointless trying to argue anyone into a different point of view.
is pretty much true of anything.  If someone has already formulated their opinion, you can't bludgeon them into another.  Once the conversation becomes adversarial, neither side is receptive anyway, they are only listening to the opponent to hear things they have an argument against.  So it's always best to calmly state the facts as you see them, state your own opinion (saying that that's what it is, your own opinion) and leave it at that.  If you can show some recognition of the other person's point of view, they will actually be much more receptive to the views you are stating than if you do not show them some recognition.  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Hughesy - mine is the same, but she is taking a 1/4 this time round so  :fc: we can convert her.   I have a friend that won't b my chicken eggs only ones through the supermarkets and she bangs on about only using the finest products  :roflanim:

I had a lovely conversation with a vegetarian yesterday who is beginning to start meat again. She was really chuffed when I gave her one of my flyers and booked a 1/4.

News from the hubby's work.....orders are coming in and they are from people who want to butcher their own, or make salami's, hams etc.  One guy even hires out an industrial kitchen unit for a weekend to make his stuff.  Cool :)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Some time ago my Mum came round for tea and we had curry made with the meat of one of our cockerels. She didn't ask ans we didn't tell her but I've felt a bit guilty about it ever since. I know her viewpoint makes no sense. She knows it makes no sense, but it's the way she feels and she's not going to change.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Do they want to eat the meat alive?  :rant:

:roflanim: :roflanim:
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
many years ago now I took my (urban) stepson to a cattle livestock market where I duly explained what all the animals were doing there and where they would end up.... he was in floods of tears.... I just couldn't resist it .... guess where we went for tea? ....... McD's of course..... and yes he loved it!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS