Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where do they think their meat comes from? Does it magically appear in packets?  (Read 5237 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
We advertised our pigs on a in-house info system at Mr Snoodles workplace in the big smoke.  Really nicely written ad, explaining what we do and how we do it.  Ethically reared, small slaughterhouse, well cut meat etc.
Mr S gets an email saying that the picture of the pig has to be removed and all references to killing and butchering, as it has been deemed offensive.

GOBSMACKED.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Do they want to eat the meat alive?  :rant:

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
It never fails to astound me that people will be shocked that i can eat home raised meat and then they go and eat the foullest supermarket meat products
Although do you think there is a religeous element to the complaint

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Fair enough if the complaint came from a veggie or vegan. However, if not..........
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
meat comes from tesco every small child knows that!!!!

:excited: :excited: :excited:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
mrs s i think you put too much info in your add, some people dont like to think of the killing of animals.

the reason i say this is in our infant days we too advertised pork explaining the whole birth to fork. we soon found a add for home reared PORK brought in more customers they come knocking asking their own questions some people want to know every step some just that the animals have been well looked after and will taste good.

we used to get people wanting to visit the pigs some of those would want to see which batch they would be buying from, some would only want to see the weaners, some would ask to see photos of the breeds. in each box of pork we would put in a breed history of that particular breed, that used to go down well. most of our buyers we just happy to buy quality pedigree rare breed pork knowing they were helping to preserve a british breed.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Have to agree with KJA on this, you CAN give them tooooooo much information, most of my customers are urban based and all they really want to know is that it has had a nice life and not been fed any nasties. Like KJA we put a newsletter in every pork box telling them what the pigs have been up to and any plans we have, for first timers they also get a crib sheet 'Whats in your pork box' explaining the various cuts, from time to time we get a wadge of recipe cards from BPEX and pop one or two of these in too.
Possibly for your OH Mrs S there will be a myriad of ethnic diversity in the company he works for and some people don't like/do pork as part of that and thats what may have elicited the comments he got. Just tone it down a wee bit and you'll do well i'm sure.
Mandy :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Do you think it may be related to the " multi-cultural workplace and ethnically diverse cultural differences" ? I gather a chap is being prosecuted for leaving a pigs head outside a scout's hut used by muslims.
Just a thought.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
I eat meat but started to get put off buy visiting the local farmers market, my children kept asking if we were eating a pig, sheep or cow so I stopped going as I was worried about them being put off too, its a fact of life and I am tougher now but I think a lot of people prefer to disconnect to what they are eating.....and don't forget, my husband was a farmers son so we visited the farm all the time and my ex used to bring home stuff he had shot and grandad often had sweetbreads in the frying pan!!! :innocent: (not his)
I think home produced stuff sounds kinder and i am in total agreement much better than factory mass raised stuff.........but the detatchement allows some people to not think about the meat actualy being an animal, silly but I think thats more the case.
Then there is the different cultures and religions that do not eat certain meats or food, they then would object and find it offensive...I remember being quite angry that we were not allowed meat products at a staff party......to me that's unfair but hay ho!!!! each to their own!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
We have some neighbours who moved out here from Birmingham a few years ago and told their youngest daughter that meat came powdered in a packet and had to be mixed with water before it was cooked.  I kid you not!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
OH's 2 year old neice lives next door to us, knows that our lambs are what is on her plate come autumn and when we have been lamping sees the rabbits hanging in the garden and says "bang bang". She knows pigs go oink and make bacon and sausages... i went in to tell her yesterday we are getting some pigs, she said yummy! That's how children should see meat and animals, it's done her no harm at all :)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Agree with KJA, I think a lot of people get upset by the thought of the "details".  They will want your meat because of the way you have raised and slaughtered it, but they really don't need to know all the details.  Some people will be really interested in the details, and that's great and you can tell them all about it, but others you can see their faces turning green as soon as you start to mention "end dates" and wot not.   That's from my own experiences anyway :).

montana

• Joined May 2011
God I know this feeling, I put photo's of our smallholding on a certain social network site. The abuse I got from one friend was unbelievable. Comments like your not going to eat them, are you or murderer!
I wouldnt mind but these people wern't vegetarians.
The ironic thing is I did sell a couple to Turkeys to a work colleague who is !

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
It's not right, but I do think it's a fact of life. 

I have a friend who is a vegetarian but is totally fine with me rearing turkeys to eat myself.  She is a nice vegetarian lol!

My son is always asking which animal meat comes from and knows that we kill our turkeys to eat, as well the odd duck and chicken.  I want him to know that what he is eating, did have a life before but it was a good one.  If he makes the decision to no longer eat meat, then I will have done everything I could to have helped him come to that conclusion.

I was having a chat with a friend about pheasants on Saturday night.  She knew we had been shooting and was asking what we had shot.  When we said pheasants, she wanted to try some but wants us to take the meat off, as she didn't want to pluck it herself.  Fair enough, I don't mind doing that and she gets to try new food.  I think you just have to let people make their own decision about things.....even though, we find it strange.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS