Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood working crafts anyone?  (Read 3127 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Wood working crafts anyone?
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »
Dose anyone do any woodworking crafts?
 I know Mak dose his animal puzzles which are lovely.
dose anybody else play around with lumps of wood.
Other half has just got a wood turning lathe. So he can attempt to make some bowls. I'm thinking of doing some hand carving, just spoons and bowls nothing arty (because I'm not gifted that way  :innocent:  ).
 If anyone dose what tools do you recommend ?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:39:50 pm »
Not done anything for a while now , but i have a pole lathe that i use for green turning , chair legs etc , even cart wheel hubs last time i really did some  proper work on it .
I made the pole lathe from old scrap 3"x2" , and use all sorts of tools on it , all gathered together over 40 years or so .
When i am set up , i make wooden rakes , chairs , any old style furniture really , but mainly medieval-ish .
I have also done a fair bit of green wood hurdle making , and not really classed as woodwork ,
basket making with willow .
I can't recommend any tools as such , as i make any i need mainly , ie the pole lathe , shaving horse , cleaving brake , even the workbench . Hand tools consist of old chisels , hammers etc , usually with new handles made from hedgerow trimmings .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:41:24 pm by RUSTYME »

deepinthewoods

Re: Wood working crafts anyone?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53:33 pm »
i would tend to agree with rusty, ive got a pole lathe, shavehorse and loads of old tools. however this is one thing i couldnt (professionally) do without.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS50-2B-12-Volt-Multi-X-Carpenter/dp/B001E261NI

it allows quick and accurate machining and with such a thin blade makes joinery easy.

sorry the link is for the battery one, mines corded and was £100
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:55:40 pm by deepinthewoods »

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:44 pm »
Hi Bert, I make lots of sawdust on my woodturning lathe and sometimes I even make bobbins for spinning wheels (and lots of other stuff too...)!! I haven't had the time recently to do very much - I retired from full time work to pursue my hobbies but there still aren't enough hours in the day!

I would recommend you get a four jaw self centering scroll chuck - quite costly but you then don't have to fiddle around with base plates etc (in most cases). I try to buy the best chisels as possible and find Robert Sorby equipment suits me. I have made my own chisels from old files - almost as satisfying as woodturning itself.

Lots of stuff on youtube to get you going!

Good luck

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:08:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice :thumbsup: .
I've just ordered a Ben Orford crook knife. Can't wait for it to turn up :excited:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:17:32 pm »
Hiya bert - i do a bit of bodging - cant go wrong with anything in the woodsmith store.  Ive got ray isles chisels and they are a dream.  axe knife and spoon knife are all swedish (grunsfors and mora) and lovely too. Happy sawdust making!!! (many a big spoon turned out litttle!)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 02:26:31 pm »
I make furniture but I'm such a luddite I only use hand tools so can't recommend much I'm afraid. My favourite tools are old wooden planes rather than the heavy metal ones.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS