Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our Summer  (Read 7127 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Our Summer
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:06:24 pm »
Where is the great summer we were promised. It got so cold earlier that I had to put the heating back on for half an hour. And they say there is "global warming" - well not in Fife!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Our Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:10:04 pm »
Not in Clackmannanshire either, James.  I'm here at the desk with a hot cuppa and a jumper on.  Reluctant to put my heating on as there's only me, and have to watch the pension.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:39:15 pm »
I felt it was cold in the guest bedrooms - that's the only reason I put it on! It is a disgrace how cold it is.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:34:39 pm »
I've not noticed it cold today - wet certainly. And we have had some lovely weather over the last week.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:50:08 pm »
now now now folks, lets not forget where we are, so far it's been well above average for a summer. We maybe got spoiled a couple of weeks ago and things have returned to normal - but my garden is not suddenly looking like autumn has set in!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:36:09 pm »
Well mine is - there are huge puddles all over the grass, and the dogs and birds have all gone inside.  And I've put the heating on.  Even my jumper wasn't warm enough. Off to have another hot coffee to warm me insides up before I take the woofs for their evening walk.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 06:55:18 am »
It got cold enough last night that I changed from shorts to jeans.  Today looks like being another beautiful day. ;D

sandy

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:28 am »
 One problem of having a B&B is the heating has to go on in the SUmmer, I prefer just to have a big fire if it gets old but with the heating on I get too warm. I don't mind wrapping up as I am not keen on my wobbly bits being on show, much better for everyone for them to b unber trousers and jumpers and a BIG coat ;D

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:30 am »
Well this is a first :o The weather here is warm and sunny with a little breeze.  It is only raining at night and the days are lovely.  My veg is doing really well and I don't need to water it much. Tell me at last the weather here is better than the UK and I may not give up and move back!! Saying that my friends in London sent me pictures of all their roads being flooded.  At least here they are so used to a lot of rain the drainage is really good  - think it has a lot to do with the very peaty soil as well.

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 11:39:15 am »
June here in the Ardennes can be pretty wet. We have had a lot of rain nearly every day,but it has been quite warm.

Officially of course we cannot comment on ' our summer ' until it starts...21st June !!

Kevin

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 12:02:40 pm »
Sorry,I've put the kybosh on this years summer by taking the roof off the Landy. I will,however,pack an umbrella to try and even it out.

For the last 2 or 3 weeks I've had to put the hose on as there's been no serious rain.What rain I had collected in the numerous 300ltr containers have been used and not replenished.The well is taking ages to replenish and isn't keeping up with veg plot and pond requirements. Ahhhh,to moan about heat,love it!!!

PS I make no apologies for "rubbing it in",but would ask for donations of suntan cream,am fast running out!!!  ;D
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 02:41:06 pm »
sun lotion and rubbing it in ?
I wore shorts for the first time on sunday and got bitten or stung by something nasty. not sure I like the summer much, it makes me reveal my pasty white limbs to atract the insects. much safer under 2 or 3 layers.

sandy

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 02:55:03 pm »
Kevkev57, I used to canoe where you are...I think....such a stunning place, the last time I was there I broke my arm due to the gorge being so swollen !due to loads of rain...ah the memories!!

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 06:37:55 am »
Sandy, I know where you broke your arm exactly. It was on the ' descent of the lesse '  from Houyet to Dinant....probably just over half way down. Right or wrong ?

Both my sons do that run. No broken arms ,but one almost fatal accident when my younger son turned over and got trapped.Luckly two passing Dutch rescued him.  I used to go out of season, when the tourists had gone home and the water lever had risen. last time it was in November, and to be honest I scared myself. Not been back since.

Kevin

sandy

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 07:58:27 am »
Not sure but that year was very dangerouse, I went for three years on the trot and loved it but that last year someone overturnd a canoe and the occupier found it a very difficult swim due to the undercurrents yet the top looked calm, I ended up being spoilt as I was a member of staff and had to work very hard usualy but due to my broken arm I was well looked after and just sat watching!!!!! Difficult going to the toilet with one arm in a cast and shorts, belt and swimsuit!!!!! I certainly remember the nudist beach ;) Ahhhh, wish  I was that slim and fit again!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS