Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens and rain  (Read 8540 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hens and rain
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 09:19:05 am »
Sandy, I doubt that Charlie and Lilly will ever take themselves off to a dry spot as the rain doesn't ever bother them. I hope they are now at home with you and not causing any trouble with the hens. They should however get into a routine at night, if you put them to bed they should eventually learn that when they see you and you start to "round them up" that that means time to go to bed - if that makes sense?

The weather is crap here today - just for a change ha ha.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 03:56:38 pm »
I'm so glad the 2 ducks have settled in with you just fine, Sandy. I'll pick our 4 up from James later in the week, now that we have the luxury accommodation , can't wait! It's a wee bit different here, as they have to get accustomed to their mums and dads before they can enjoy the free range life. Last night they didn't want to go into their house at all, were hiding under the slope at a quarter to 12! They sometimes are funny about going in if they have fresh bedding or if the evening's nice with lots of moths to chase. They went in by themselves all through the winter, though, most likely it's the light. I'm glad I don't have to get them off a pond to go into safety, lol, but I don't know how big your pond is. Ours seem quite happy with their paddling pool and lots of grass. Crap weather here, too, but we're only a few miles away from James. I managed to cut most of the grass before the downpour yesterday, a  few dry hours needed now to finish the job and we'll be ready for the ducklings! :&>

sandy

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 05:49:21 pm »
Just went out and noticed the DUcks wer fllowing my Black ROcks around, the Black ROcks seem to like them!!!! I then thought I would open a bit of the chikcen wire that is around my E Battery hens and see what happens, one came woundering around then another 2, when they came close to a Black Rock they started a bit of a fight, then the other 2 Black ROcks ran to chase the Ex Bat and so did Lilly and Charlie, they saw off the Ex Bats as well, I soon put them back in,  I shall try again when it is a bit dryer, i keep getting drentched!!!!! I think Ducs certainly can stand up for themselves!!! Oh my  pond is small, just enough for 2 DUcks, the funny thing is they seem to like the ZInc bath, now that s small!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:43 pm »
We have had lots of rain over the last week and the hens just don't seem to mind and stay out in it! I have just fed them porrige with baked beans, boiled potato, chopped lettuce and cucumber and they went wild for it. I take it this type of treat is ok?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49:12 pm »
And I tried them with some prawns earlier and they enjoyed this treat too. :chook:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 02:34:14 pm »
prawns! did you mix them with the salad. why not they like bugs and worms so small pink things should go down well with them. you habve posh chucks.

sandy

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 02:49:35 pm »
SUch a peaceful scene outside, I cleaned out the pond and opened up the Ex Battery Hens, all are getting on fine, the pond is filling up, the Ex Bats are making dust bowls and he Blck ROcks have been foraging in the pond water I put all over the soil..Lilly and Charlie are asleep...well they were..in the sun..all are geting on well and I have just used my foot spar, something from ages ago as I had been standing in the muddy pond.....I made marmite and soaked bread, rice and speghetti and they ALL enjoyed that, of couse I had breakfast of Quality street but not sure what to have now? The sun is also out, even Ben and Islay are sunbathing...........Bliss

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 11:58:26 pm »
It has poured of rain here ALL day, and I mean poured and still the chooks stayed out. By 8pm they were so wet I had had enough so went and locked them up early. Are my hens mental????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS