Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens and rain  (Read 8539 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Hens and rain
« on: June 13, 2009, 03:10:57 pm »
We have just had the most horrendous thunder storm with mega heavy rain. The hens just seem to stand in it - should they not just go to their coop by themselves or do they enjoy getting wet? It was so dark and heavy rain there was no way I was going out to put them away.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hens and rain
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 03:14:12 pm »
Surprised they stayed out in it.  Mine stay out in a shower, but go inside if it's really heavy.  Hoping to come up with Sandy tomorrow, James!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:32:34 pm »
See you tomorrow Annie - just typical that my hens are mental hee hee.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
Yes, I ahd heard that!  I believe Liz (Craig) says 'no more animals, James' every time she speaks to you
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 03:51:55 pm »
I keep saying the same myself though. Now have 11 goats, 2 rabbits, 2 geese, 14 ducks, 4 ponies, 7 hens, 3 goldfish, 3 dogs and a parrot. Don't think I have missed any out. I still want a Golden Guernsey goat and may soon get another Toggenburg off Beth. There is a donkey for sale in the local paper today but I have decided No! I fell in live with the Golden Guernseys at the Fife Show and Rosie is half GG and she is gorgous too.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 03:59:06 pm »
Yes, Beth and I were chatting on Wednesday about your photos of Fred and Gizmo in the house.  'Does James realise what size they'll grow to' I asked her!  Do you?  Did you see that big lad they have - can't remember his name.  They'll be as big as that.  I'd love a pony - have always wanted one, but just don't have enough land or places to ride it.  Anyway would need an elephant to carry me lol

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 04:05:08 pm »
Oh yes I know that they will be big boys. Rosie and Toggi are also biggies. I would happily have the field full of goats, they are such characters and I would never be without them.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 08:42:13 pm »
This might be a stupid question, but what do you do with your goats?  Are they for milk or do you eat them?  My OH loves goats, but I don't fancy doing milking before the school run!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »
All my animals are kept purely as pets. None of the goats need milked as they have never kidded - although R osie the 12 yr old female now needs milked since we bought the 2 boy kids. Her hormones took over and now she has udders the size of me. So, every few days I milk her and either give it to the kids or dare I say throw it away. I sell the duck and the hen eggs and can't keep up with the demand for these. All my animals have a pampered and spoilt life here and I have no shame in saying that. Feeding, vets bills and bedding costs a fortune for them all but who cares - they are all worth it. Goats are knockout pets and I really adore them - go get some!!! :goat:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:14:40 pm by jameslindsay »

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »
As far as possible I like my animals to pay their way and beautiful as goats are good looks doesn't put food on the table. :yum:  You never know my OH might talk me round!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:51:32 pm »
Sandy and I went to collect her two Aylesbury ducklings today - and James' animals are absolutely delightful (as are he and Kenny!)  The goats came running to his call, and proceeded to chew us lovlingly, my shoelaces were undone, our blouses and trousers were mouthed, and not a mark on anything - no bite marks at all.  They are happy and contented and probably know they won't appear on the extensive and delicious menu.  Thanks, James and Kenny, for a lovely lunch and an entertaining afternoon.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:04:01 pm »
Thanks Annie, you are most welcome any time. :)

sandy

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 10:34:30 pm »
Pets add to your life so the cost is no different from having any other hobby, I definatley think pets are great for your health, shame I have definatley no room for goats!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 11:35:00 pm »
To get back to the topic - my hens were wringing wet this afternoon.  We went through teh torrential rain ont eh way home, James.  The it arrived here later in teh day - and I thought it would never stop.  My hens must have stayed out in it as they were 'drookit'  The ducks didn't mind, of course.  I must get a nice wee pond like you have, James.  Could you email me a photo or two of it to show my sons so they know what they are to build next  ;D ;D ;D

sandy

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:08:32 am »
I git soaked getting the Ducks into their run as I was worried they would stay out all night, I got them in eventually and hope as they grow they will go into the dry themselves, the chickens are fine in my garden as there are loads of very dry spots. I got in and had a shower and we were just out to sit and watch a film and have our tea when a guest told us water was gushing through the porch roof...so, Steve had to go out onto the flat roof and unblock the downpipe,  ::)Nice weather for Ducks aye ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS