Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which tractor?  (Read 12856 times)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Which tractor?
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
Hi. I'm after a tractor for doing a bit of small hay baling on 10 or so acres with in the summer and moving a few large bales around with. Maybe also stick a post knocker on from time to time. Quite a hilly/fell area but wouldn't be doing a lot of grass work other than mowing/baling.
What is the smallest HP people think I would get away with and does anyone have any tips for a good reliable cheap older tractor that would do the job.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Which tractor?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:56 pm »
The good old Massey 135 did all these jobs on farms of 100plus acres for years, they are about 40hp, these are quite sought after and collectable though.  A 165 is about 60hp  and possibly a bit cheaper, a bit more size and weight--- the baler and post knocker should be no problem for anything -- what mower do you have in mind ?  The most common 5'6" drum mower is right on the limit for a 135--- more in terms of weight and handling than power -- especially if your land is hilly,  the 165 however is well within its limits,  power steering is a nice to have on these, but not essential.  Also the 265 and 565,  just newer models with essentially the same engine and gearbox.

Ive also used an international/McCormick 454, about the same power as a 135 but slightly bigger, not so collectable and immensely strong used it with a drum mower effortlessly.

Depending on your type of post driver you may need to adapt the hydraulics, some need a flow and return, and depends what tractors have had on in the past wether they will have the necessary connections and valves. Any tractor could be adapted- for a max of i guess about £150, just make sure you budget for it.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:42:31 pm »
Loader buckets are the thing some smaller tractors struggle with more than towed equipment, but you would need something 40 hp ish plus. mf 135 good. Also 1970s and 1980s  tractors - we use a 75hp 1976 John Deere 2030 which was cheaper than a Massey/David brown as old boys like them for doing up and also as yard scraper tractors. Nb if ground is more than a bit sloping you might need an alpine tractor or at least a 4x4.

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:14:57 am »
I would definately go for a 4wd drive. We have a David Brown 1190 with loader which would ordinarily be fine for the 12 acres of grass we have however even though we are fairly elevated and the land is not that steep it has been bogged down numerous time this year given the amount of rain we have had. The rear tyres are 100% but still slip once mudded up. A local contracter baled up our last 3 acres and had a 4wd Massey with floatation tyres and managed ok with not much mess. I am currently restoring a 1954 grey fergie which would probably create less mess but wouldn't deal with big rounds very well.

Regarding budget I would suggest by the best you can afford and service it regularly. If so it will service you well for a long time.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:40:44 pm »
I have looked at your location and you are in David Brown Country. Plenty of other makes around you , but Fergys are over priced, Fords going the same way. International (Nashers) are plenty full and much more afordable, but have a skinny rear axle.
I know where there is a decent Leyland for sale with exactly the same engine as the MF135 but half the price.
For my money Browns are at right money, stronger and better gearing for these hills. There are a few breakers near you and the "Club" is an hour away.
Downside of a Brown is the hydraulics IF `neglected' . But much more versatile when right. Fergys split in half around the block area with a loader as there is no chassis, only a stiffened sump.
You can pick up a decent Brown with a loader ready for work for a thousand pound less than a ruff MF135 with collectable appeal.
I recommend a DB 880 or 885. Forty five horse power, good starter and good economy. Mine loads, mows, bales and carts. :thumbsup:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:09:28 am »
I agree with Odin, we have a DB 885 narrow or orchard version with a loader. The only downside is no  4wd. so you are very much governed by the weather and ground conditions.

ballaterach

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »
I know its predominantly American but I've had a heap of great advice and help from friendly yanks at Tractorbynet:    http://www.tractorbynet.com/
Any Uk small tractor forums seem little subscribed too sadly almost as difficult as getting attachments in the UK

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:10 pm »
I have a Case 695 L (95 hp) and with weights up front she does everything I have to do around here.

Second hand and owned by Surrey CC so no hard work before I goy her.
Cost for a K reg was £3800
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:50:23 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 07:55:55 pm »
If you are buying an old tractor 30-50 years old say it is more down to the individual vehicle rather than the brand. Try and avoid one that has been used as a yard scraper tractor as the metal work will be in poor order - probably rotten! I would also avoid the restored ones unless you know the tractor and its history as a restoration could mean anything from a full restoration and overhaul (expensive) to a quick paint job. As for brands Ford and Massey Ferguson hold their value and can be pricey, whereas International, Nuffield / Leyland and David Brown are a little less expensive. Parts a generally available for all makes. I have a 49 year old International B414, last year we drove it 570 milesfor charity to our new home in Western France.
Good luck!

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:10:30 pm »
Hmmm.... this is going to depend a great deal on the baler.  Do you have it already?  We have an old claas baler for small bales and it was very unhappy being used with our Deutz (about 40hp), but absolutely fine with the Massey Fergusson 575 (about 66HP).  The bigger heavier tractor also felt much safer with the baler.

So, I'd go with something 60-70HP.  In my (limited) experience, 4wd really helps with steep bits when the going is wet or loose.  Obviously not the conditions when you're baling and I would have thought 2wd with ag tyres should give you enough traction for the type of work you mention.

Just a thought - if you're talking about a mini round baler then none of the above applies as that's basically just rolling it up and you can get away with a much lighter / lower HP tractor.  In that case, consider a 4WD Kubota, they're pretty bullet proof.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 06:49:34 pm »
with that you might need some of this Ebay Link  :innocent:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 04:01:33 pm »
 :D :D :D :D

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 05:14:38 pm »
hi would suggest an john Deere 3130 as they are solid tractors and have worked for us and they would now cost £2000-£4000 in very Good condition
so hope this would help you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS