Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ear tag year letters  (Read 3802 times)

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
ear tag year letters
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »
I have been told that ear tags have a year letter. my 2 new ryelands have letter P. therefore name them with a new name beginning with the year letter so you know who was born when.
Makes sense to me.
But that made me think. Can I use my 2012 tags on my goats and lambs due to be born soon????????????
Does it matter, are you allowed?
I bought 30 pairs of tags in November for february!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOH!

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: ear tag year letters
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:08 pm »
I have absolutely no idea but I think it could depend on your breed. Our sheep are Zwartbles and the breed society (ZSA) dictates the letter that will be used for new lambs each year. Our girls were born last year and were called names beginning with 'W'. This year I think the letter is A but these letters don't appear on the ear tags.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:32:50 am »
we have suffolks and use the year letters specified by the breed society, however we allocate a colour to the year and use the colours to distinguish ages although as they get older and lose tags it gets less reliable. Luckily my boss can identify each one individually anyway or so it seems
Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:03:13 am »
If you are registering Ryeland tups, they must be registered with a name starting with the correct year letter - for example tups born in 2012 will all be Sam, Superman and so on. Ewes don't have registered names, just a number and the number (for ewes and tups) doesn't include a letter. The importance of the letter ony relates to the name of the tup. (Although our three ewe lambs from last year are Stella, Smudge and Sweatpea - these are only pet names).

The numbers on the tags have nothing to do with the letter, so you can use them.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »
I have been told that ear tags have a year letter. my 2 new ryelands have letter P. therefore name them with a new name beginning with the year letter so you know who was born when.
Makes sense to me.
But that made me think. Can I use my 2012 tags on my goats and lambs due to be born soon? ??? ??? ??? ??
I assume you mean eid double tags if so then yes you can and must use them, when you bought them a record was kept on a national database, and you have to write down in the flock register every time you put a tag in a sheep or have unused in store, and if inspected youmust account for all tags bought, if you want a year letter on your tags then you have to specify at ordering

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:33 pm »
(Although our three ewe lambs from last year are Stella, Smudge and Sweatpea - these are only pet names).

;D ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:20:37 am »
(Although our three ewe lambs from last year are Stella, Smudge and Sweatpea - these are only pet names).

;D ;D

I didn't notice that - the eyesight must be going as well  ;D

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:12:33 pm »
Makes sense to me.
But that made me think. Can I use my 2012 tags on my goats and lambs due to be born soon? ??? ??? ??? ??

If you want to register pedigree ryelands or coloured ryelands born in 2013 the tags will need to carry the year letter "T", along with your Ryeland/Coloured Ryeland flock number and and arbitary individual number (lots of RFBS members are now using the DEFRA five digit number here.
Any questions, email the secretary (info@ryelandfbs.com) - she's very helpful.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS