Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cold goat?  (Read 5390 times)

Goat-Lady

• Joined May 2012
  • Wales
Re: Cold goat?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »
I have a 13 year old and she sometimes stands shivering. I always give her some 1 to 1 attention with tap hot molasses water. Seems to do the trick as there seems to be nothing esle wrong with her, but in need of some TLC

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 06:54:27 am »
It is very useful to have a really warm goat rug to hand at all times................ think about it, if you are stressed / worried you feeel less comfortable & chilly.   So do animals whtever the species.
At times like this I would definitely put a warm rug on the goat, not a fleece but a rug with polyfibre fill.
Rugs are also useful when an animal is ill.................with the best care in the world illness cannot always be prevented.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 07:40:46 am »
Do you know her worming and vaccination history Heidi?  Not that this is the case, but I lost a nanny goat to stress induced pneumonia - it all happened so fast and we had no chance with her. Ever since then I've used HeptavacP just for the extra protection x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:32 am »
We're starting hep p vaccines after talkin to to the vet..he said do it before she kids and it will be good for the kid aswell :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 08:30:58 am »
brilliant  :)  I was told to worm mine day after she kidded so did that too. how's she enjoying her coat? she looked very cosy!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 01:14:53 pm »
Loves the coat but I think it was nerves..she's settled in well now

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 05:39:50 pm »
Actually the advice from the Goat Veterinary Society is to use Lambivac for the clostridial diseases and a separate pasteurella (Ovipast) vaccine. So initially 2 doses 2ml each of Lambivac 4 - 6 weeks apart, and about a week into the 4 weeks give a separate 2ml dose of Ovipast, and then again repeat 4 weeks later. That way the goat doesn't get a huge whoosh of vaccines all in one go. Lambivac has to be boostered every 6 months, Ovipast (I think) once a year. Advice re Ovipast is to make sure the animal is not stressed, so I wouldn't give it a newly arrived goat until they settled in well and trust you and you are able to do it quickly and without fuss. Even more important if they are in kid. (Mine get all the injections when on the milking stand and while tucking into some grub - usually they don't notice...., except sometimes when it's into the muscle)

I don't know when your goat is due to kid, but if she hasn't had any clostridial vaccinations so far (or if you are not sure she has) you should do the initial double course and hopefully time it so that the second dose is just given 2 to 3 weeks before she kids. Vaccines are injected under the skin only.

I would also do a FEC count for both worms and fluke, and treat if necessary accordingly.

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 11:23:12 am »
@MGM .. Yes willow can see the ducks and chooks bless her, and im in and out. Also kitties are starting to venture down to her.. I cant wait till she kids , gonna be fun...  :goat: :thumbsup:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 10:48:23 pm »
Exciting times.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS