Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cold goat?  (Read 5391 times)

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
Cold goat?
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:15 am »
Hi all, just had willow the goat yesterday. She fine and im in love but when i went to see her today her head waa shaking and her neck, she was lying down and her body warm but would she be cold?? Or would she shake all over? Id appreciate advice. Thanku xxx :goat: :unwell:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Cold goat?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:05 am »
My old goat used to shake quite often and, having checked that she was warm, etc I came to the conclusion she was doing it for effect.   Is Willow's shed draught-free and does she have plenty of straw?  Does she have access to water at all times?  If so, she should be ok.  Maybe she's missing having goaty company.  Sorry I can't be more help but I'm sure someone on here will have some good advice.

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:58:41 am »
Aw thanku mgm. She got water. Straw etc. i think i worrying as it so brrrr cold, i keep eye on her , hope u are well xxx
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »
Is she's eating and cudding alright?
Have you taken her temp?

Hay warms from the inside

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:03:43 pm »
Savannah was shivering a bit yesterday, so long as her hay rack is filled she is ok though (typical vanna!)
Maybe a little bit of stress as she settles? I read somewhere about putting a bit of molasses in the drinking water to help with energy if they are shivery but haven't tried it myself.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:36:19 pm »
I use treacle in warm water after kidding for the same reason.  I don't know if it works but they do enjoy it.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:57:09 pm »
me being mrs paranoid says take her temp. she's just been transported and stressed so could be a prime candidate for pneumonia :-\  probably not but best keep a close eye to her just in case  :love:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:08:28 pm »
As CW says  :thumbsup:

The weather has also just gone much colder, so she could be shivering from cold. One of mine used to, before I insulated the byre roof. I got her a big dog coat to wear, which stopped her shivering, so from this I deduce she was cold.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:11:10 pm »
My goats shook quite a bit the other week in presence of vet so it might be stress related. Perhaps being alone and moving home as mentioned before. Loads of tic and some company of some sort might help.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:45:01 am »
I think animal company is essential for the health and well-being of a flock/herd animal.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:06 am »
If we seperate any of ours from the others they get stressed and shiver, she is in a strange place with no goat company so she is bound to be worried
stress isn't something she needs when she is pregnant
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:35:58 am by sokel »
Graham

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:10:08 am »
How is she today Heidi?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 01:44:12 pm »
Hi plums, willow fine. No shivering and coming out the shed to see us bless her, she eating ok too. Thanku x  :goat:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:36 pm »
excellent!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:26 pm »
That's good news.  Can she see your other animals from where she is?  I know ideally she would prefer another goat around and that you are planning on keeping her kid. I had an 'only' goat for several years but her yard was next to the dogs bit and she could see us moving round in the house so she was ok.  When she had Pom though, I couldn't bear to make her be on her own again.  (well, that's what I told OH who was adamant I could only have one  :roflanim: )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS