Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry auctions Fife or Angus?  (Read 3046 times)

fifekeeper

• Joined Jan 2013
Poultry auctions Fife or Angus?
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:10:32 pm »
I'm looking to increase the size of my flock, and would like to visit some poultry auctions.
I'm relatively new to chicken keeping, so don't know of any auction sites. Are there ever any poultry auctions in Fife or Angus?   :chook:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Poultry auctions Fife or Angus?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:19:22 pm »
There are poultry sales in Forfar every so often- check the Lawrie and Symington website as they are held in the auction market. There aren't any sales in Fife that I know of, but sometimes there are selling classes at shows in Fife.

The Scottish National Poultry show is next weekend at Lanark market, and there will be a fair number for sale there. Often though, they can be show quality, and sometimes the prices are higher than you might pay at a livestock auction.

Lanark market (Lawrie and Symington again) have a rare breed and poultry sale every month or second month. It's usually on a Thursday, so I don't go very often due to work! The website should give you the details of when the next one is.

Beth

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:37:30 pm »
i don't think there are any auctions in fife, our closest is probably stirling, but having never been i dont know when they are on.
to get birds in fife you are probably easier to look for private sales - all of my birds (minus the home grown) have come from this way, whilst you perhaps pay a little more its more convenient.  but then this might just be me.  :chook:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:57:48 pm »
7th March next sale at Forfar.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »
Also a poultry sale 17 March at Thainstone  Aberdeen way.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »
Carlisle 23rd Feb and 20Th April
Dingwall 9Th March

Worth going to the Scottish national to see what breed you like / also theres a sales class as well. If you get a catalogue you could contact local breeders who have the breeds you want and that would save you taking your chance at the Mart

Was there anything specific you were looking for?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS