Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CATS  (Read 10079 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: CATS
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 09:43:08 pm »
I have just come across some suggestions while browsing -

Coleus Canina - Scaredy Cat Plants - pot plants they dont like the smell of.

scatter cafetiere coffee grinds - apparently they dont like the bitter taste on their paws

a garlic based granular product you can buy in shops.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »
A late contribution to the debate but for I have tried orange peel and found it to be minimally effective. I have quite a small plot in an urban area and I have resorted to fencing the perimiter it with 2' high chicken wire. In addition, I drape fine netting between the top of chicken wire and some inner bamboo sticks, to stop them simply jumping the fence. This is the only way to keep them out, and still the odd one finds a weak spot and gets in for a scooby.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:43:21 pm »
Get a dog??? ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 03:32:49 pm »
Or get a cat of your own - one with muscles that will mark the garden as his territory to keep other cats out, but go do his business in your neighbours!  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 04:38:21 pm »
A Black Widow can be quite effective Taters ??? ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 07:18:54 pm »
coffee sounds good! My own cat annoys me just now as she loves freshly made veggie plots with seeds in them to mess up! she thinks I made nice loos everywhere for her! My garden looks like a white cloud with fleece everywhere... :cat: :cat: :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »
We have 3 cats, I have litter trays in the stables, barn and the house and find the cats use them rather than my veg plot. Its what they have been used too and keeps me happy  :) :cat:

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:20 am »
I have 3 cats and I use a mixture of netting, fleece and chicken wire to keep them off the veg beds.

Had the added bonus last year of having lovely caterpillar free veg!

I would agree that if you get a feisty cat of your own it will keep other moggies away. I don't think the lion dung, orange peel etc work
Lion pee would work - a lion peed on my brothers car wheel at the safari park and when he went home his doberman was terrified when it got a whiff! Itv was cowering and cringeing and would not come near the car!  Daresay cats would be similarly affected. Sourcing the lion pee might however pose a bit of a problem!  :D :D :D

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 11:52:39 am »
I found  a large piece of fishing net washed up on the shore and cut it up and laid it on all my beds (after they were prepared for sowing). The holes are 4" squares and it even helped with spacing out the seeds, onion sets etc.
Not only has it kept the cats away but I can let the hens free in the veg bed without any trouble, as they won't go where they can't scratch.
In my experience, cats want soft soil where they can bury their doings, as being crafty predators, they want to conceal their presence. They will always head for bare, freshly dug earth.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 12:47:58 pm »
Taters as I have said before a Black Widow is very effective ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS