Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CATS  (Read 10077 times)

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
CATS
« on: June 11, 2009, 06:26:54 pm »
We have a big problem with cats pooping everywhere in our garden.  We have tried just about everything short of shooting them - we don't want to be cruel - any ideas how we can keep them away

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: CATS
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:58:31 pm »
Hiya have been told chicken manuer pellet do the trick not tried them so don't know

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:01:12 pm »
thought about getting a dog? or maybe create an area that they can use as a litter tray- a pile of sand maybe and they'll use that instead of the whole garden -worth a shot  ;D
Lynne

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:10:10 pm »
A dog does the trick especially one that doesn't like cats. Saying that have three dogs and a cat who get on fine, but interlopers this is a no go area.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 07:39:33 pm »
yep, thats what we find- in fact the cat is more aggressive than the dog in protecting her territory! and she uses a sand pile outside as her litter box so I know what area the kids can't play in.
but I do sympathise- a friend has the same problem and not happy with soiling every where, they atarted nesting in her newly planted tubs- the air was blue for weeks!
Lynne

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:23:39 pm »
I have a problem with ferrel cats cr**ing in my onion beds ! (none of the other veggies interest them !) Have tried water pistols, pepper, dog (but he's a fanny - the only german shepherd I know who's afraid of cats!) So now I'm thinking it'll have to be the 'scaredy cat' plant or the lions dung pellets which allegedly keep them away - I'll let you know if i've any success !  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:50:17 pm »
I have a friend who has a metal cat silhouette stuck in the middle of her garden - never has any problem with cats.
I've lost one of mine - a very pretty orangey pinky peach colour.  Soft as putty, comes to her name 'Candy' if anyone is in Clackmannan at any time, have a look for her for me.  She doesn't poo in veg patches lol  I miss her a lot.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:50:21 pm »
I've just finished a book on cats that said cats origionate from the desert so there is nothing they'd rather use as a toilet than a pile of sand.  It suggested putting the pile near the veg plot and apparently the cats would always s**t in the sand instead.  I've been meaning to try it out for a few week now as I have the same problem with my onions.  Needless to say I haven't got around to it yet so I'm not 100% sure it'll work but I thought I might as well share the news.

Good luck

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:51:26 pm »
It wasn't chicken manure, Linz, but lion poo or pee like against foxes. I had a cat once that ate chicken manure pellets! I have the same problem with my own cat, wherever I've been digging, she's in...:&>

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 09:11:29 pm »
We tried the lions poo - made no difference at all

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:02:56 am »
if you dont have any cats of your own why dont you try one of those sonic devices that are everywhere?
GEM. X

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »
Sand definately works.

We are always building or plastering something, and constantly need a pile of sand, the 7 cats we have use it as a loo, then we cannot plaster.  So we now have to keep our plastering sand under cover.

So try a little sand pit, but don't put it too near the veg patch, put it near where they sleep, or they will just poo in both of them.

You could try putting a bag of cat litter on top of the sand if they were ever used to it, as the smell will attract them.

Julie

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:06:38 pm »
Lion poo didnt work for me and it was quite expensive.  Our dogs seem to do the trick (even with our own cat!)

Taters

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 08:29:32 am »
 :( I don't think there anything that works to stop cats in my experience, have tried just about everything apart from a gun !!

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »
:( I don't think there anything that works to stop cats in my experience, have tried just about everything apart from a gun !!

You can borrow my Jack Russell if you like. He hates them on sight. Trouble is they sit on the shed roof and torment him. i wondered how my neihbours would feel if I let the dog sh*t in their garden >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS