Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wool rot/rain scald  (Read 8348 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Wool rot/rain scald
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:30:19 pm »
Anyone else affected? I drenched my Ryelands with Fasinec duo and they have all got a bit.....nothing i can do....bit cheesed off though!
I have them on an exceptionally dry and well drained field at the moment but wish it would take a break from raining....or drizzle/fog which we have had for last 5 days!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Wool rot/rain scald
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
Fingers crossed, not so far. I had it really badly (well, the sheep did  :sheep:) the past two years.

I know, could we pleeeeaaasse have some dry and some sun!  :gloomy:

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »
3 of my Ryeland gimmers are the same, presume it's down to the wonderful Yorkshire weather we've been having, better start building an ark.....

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:58:15 pm »
I am just eternally gratefull that the pallet sheep house of wonderousness has remained standing and they can all fit in it.
I know these primitives of mine are supposed to be hardy, but none of em stay out in the rain for long and the pallet house is the only shelter they have till I can make the hedges safe.

I am convinced that is the only reason we haven't been affected with rain scald :-\
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:27:05 pm »
Well I have never had it in primitives and my remaining pet Ouessant is not affected, I think its the type of fleece and the broad back that does it!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43:48 pm »
Well I have never had it in primitives and my remaining pet Ouessant is not affected, I think its the type of fleece and the broad back that does it!

Oh yes I had forgotten the width!
Out of interest, do the ryland's  shake much?
My guys shake so much out of their fleeces if they do get wet, it's like watching a dog shake after a bath ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:27:54 pm by colliewoman »
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Jcrang

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:48:29 pm »
My rather fat shearling is sodden and has turned a lovely green colour as a result of algae growing in her super wet fleece and very broad back. I posted on the Ryeland Facebook page and it seems that a lot of people have very wet sodden sheep with all sorts growing in their fleece. No scald or rot yet and having had a few days of dry weather they are looking a bit better. Just bought 2 more in lamb ewes Val that arrive on Thursday, older ewes but good breeding. Fingers crossed for a good lambing.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
A few of mine have a touch of it. Annoying but they seem happy enough and its mild cases

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »
 :roflanim: I have one with green algae too!!! Jess....where did you get in lamb ewes??? I have hunted all over looking for some....have instead bought 5 ewe lambs from Nottingham!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Jcrang

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:38 am »
From a breeder who I met at the RBST S&S at Sedgemoor back in September. There have also been a few advertised on facebook and there is a whole list for sale on the RFBS site. Worth joining the society and getting Dot to add you to to the closed Facebook group. The ewe lambs sound lovely, what flock were they from??? Are you lambing them this year??

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:08:27 am »
I have Ryelands. Can someone tell me what wool rot/rain scald looks like please.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »
Looks like the wool has gone crusty at the skin and broken off....
Sheep have new wool that grows every year and a weak bit between where the old fleece was growing and the new bit. If water penetrates the fleece and stays wet  for a while it starts to rot and breaks at that point....! I will try and see if I can photograph some if the sheep will co operate!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 10:24:26 pm »
 :fc: mine haven't got any - though my herdy had it for past two years, this year I had her sheared in late Sept, no sign of it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I clipped her back short for the two years (didn't look very nice, a bit like 'should have gone to spec savers) then lathered it in Nappy rash cream (Sudofed) which kept the rain off and helped to keep the scabs soft so they didn't get sore and bleed.  Fleece grew back as good as new in the spring, though I think it was more white than before where the scabs had been.
You are never to old to learn something new

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 10:54:43 pm »
It does seem to be a fleece type thing, with down-type sheep getting it most ie dense, fine coats, fibres all the same length.  We have had sheep like that and there's not a lot you can do except house them, but that has its own problems.
I can be smug  ;D  because Hebrideans have a shake-dry fleece which also naturally sheds water as it falls, so what you lose in fineness of wool you gain in resistance to rot.  Heb fleeces do have a bit of a tendency to felt in warm weather with heavy rain if you don't get the fleeces off pronto in June though.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:29 pm »
Well mine will just have to stay out....will put some vaseline on if gets too bad...just need DRY weather!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS