Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wool rot/rain scald  (Read 8346 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Wool rot/rain scald
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:12 pm »
A couple of mine have lost odd patches on there backs, all been jabbed for scab and biting insects, they have use of shelter 24/7
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:10:15 am »
This may well be a picture of some other affliction... but previous thread discussions seemed to point at it being this...... although this picture taken this weekend prompted a further trip to vet  (without sheep) who said it 'wouldnt be the wrong thing to do to dectomax'!  So I have.  Thought it was biting lice to begin with (Most sheep do have little tufts sticking out), so crovected, then used spot on next ....  But this sheep carried on scratching and sheding - so still worrying about scab (Too much fleece loss for biting lice?).... but only one sheep affected out of 14 - which I'm told would be unusual if it was scab.  All Dectomaxed now.  So have biting lice (Crovect/Spot on) Sucking lice and scab (dectomax) covered..... but if it is wool rot rain scald...?? What is the treatment

When I got them al in to dectomax at the weekend this one had been scratching so much it had felted its wool around the area which was then pulling at the skin - v sore looking- so I did a bit of cliping to remove the heavy lumps, hope that was the right thing... 

I hate the idea that I may be medicating needlessly, but dont yet have the confidence or knowledge to make different choices - how do you start to go down that path?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:34:48 am by FiB »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 09:50:56 am »
Looks like the wool has gone crusty at the skin and broken off....
Sheep have new wool that grows every year and a weak bit between where the old fleece was growing and the new bit. If water penetrates the fleece and stays wet  for a while it starts to rot and breaks at that point....! I will try and see if I can photograph some if the sheep will co operate!
Thanks for the description Val. I haven't noticed anything like that on my girls I am glad to say but I will keep watch as it seems it is never going to stop raining. :gloomy:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:40:51 am »
FiB that pic is not rain scald!!....looks more like mange, scab or lice.....dectomax should sort it!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 11:52:07 am »
Val beat me to it....

Dectomax or two shots of ivermectin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS