Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding commutable to Glasgow  (Read 8166 times)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
Re: Smallholding commutable to Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:56:13 am »
We are in Ayrshire and the property we managed to buy had every type of rot you can imagine. We were down to soil in every room at to be honest, at times , was very down heartening. There were many " What have we done?" moments and it seems that each day we find another "project" that needs done.
Our aims for last year were to install a woodburner (to save on oil) and also to remove and replace the old asbestos roofing on the stables. We just managed to complete this in 2012, but be aware, there are no cheap fixes when it comes to solving little problems. These 2 x projects hit us for almost 4.5k
We knew ( no we never ;) ) what we were buying into and planned the year out....Then you find out you have mega heavy clay soil and a high water table in your area and every little down pour turns your fields into a mudbath....So next little project is drainage in the horses paddock and top field where they go....It never ends, I suspect it will be the same with a property that was / is on good order....

Positivies.......yes there are many. My kids are out everyday either tending to horses, chickens, or out with the dogs. They are not afraid of either hard work, or dirt for that matter... they have a glow about them and are learning all the time.
You do have to make the extra effort to ensure that the kids are involved with other interests to keep the social life flowing for them as it is not healthy for them to be too isolated (in my opinion) but when the sun shines and you are having your morning coffee outside with the dogs, horses are out in the field, chooks are strutting their stuff, sheep and lambs are down in the field next to us and Arran is clear in the distance........it's worth every penny... :sunshine:
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:20:04 am »
Hi, just had to pass this house on, I would love it, its been for sale a while so "who knows" its say's £175,000 but its a buyers market. My husband is not interested so no use keeping it to myself, near a good train link to Glasgow too and with a bit or tarting up, brill......
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36889285.html

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 11:48:34 am »
I really wish I hadn't looked at the details of this property.  <sighs heavily>

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:10 pm »
I have a huge dilema......I love rural but my husband needs a train link within 6 mile ish
then I am not always that mobile so really love where we are as , we should never get snowec in, do not have power cuts, a bus, shop, post office, hairdressers, take away, Library Drs and Pharmacy our outside, we have walks for dogs all around us and I can catch a free bus all over the place from just opposite my house. The dogs are also safe.
Then, I may never move again so I want a house with a downstairs toilet at least, and one on the level our bedroom is or a house that can have one built. I also want views and not an estate but it has to be warmed buy solid fuel or log burner or can have one put in.
That house really appeals as it can be done up but at that price still a bit too costly for some one who does not want land, there is a done up pretty house I adore but its off the beaton track but much much cheaper and still have some land with it...not saying where that is as I would love it!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:04:27 pm »

I know that place well Sandy. It's not too far from us, and I have a friend who lives just round the corner.  Definitely a good smallholding opportunity for somebody  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 01:25:38 pm »
Oh NOOOOOO WOMBLE.....I saw that ages ago and with a bit of doing up it would be fantastic, I loved it for its rough ness ....Hope some one buys it for a snip and starts thier dream....I have seen a few around this price, that house is in not bad state at all!!! XXXX

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS