Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solar PV Production  (Read 103866 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Solar PV Production
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2015, 02:40:13 pm »
214 for october again a good bit up  :sunshine: on the last couple of years

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2015, 04:17:21 pm »
428, been a surprisingly sunny month.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #242 on: November 01, 2015, 05:11:27 pm »
Gulp!  150 here.  :-[

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2015, 03:46:27 pm »
311 here for Oct. It was 296 in 2014, but given that the southwest has been pretty good for sun I am pretty sure we are well down on what we should have got with the OVR issues.
FINALLY got the transformer for our branch section changed on 27th Oct so fingers crossed that will have sorted out over-voltage issues but we won't really be able to tell until April/May next year when the sun gets high enough for our panels to be belting out 4k +
However the grid voltage now reads between 225 and 238 or so as opposed to 250+ so we might be ok  :thumbsup:
Did get a nice cheque through the post for the last 6 months generation though  :excited:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2015, 11:15:14 pm »
I'm really happy that you managed to get it sorted and get some compensation.

Today we had a meter man come and read the solar meter.. evidently from now on all solar producers will be getting a bi yearly meter read.

The other good news is that I've  turned  an older laptop over to the Ubuntu platform  and managed to get it to work my webcam that reads the solar meter. Win 10 update killed the camera's operating driver along with lots of other drivers for nearly all my computer related machinery . .

We now have a total 6697.30 units generated since we started off .....which is supposed to be reasonable for our set up.

I've also recently booked our window cleaner to use his de-mineralized window washing gear on a very long light weight shaft to give our panels a pre-winter cleaning , not bad either at 16 panels cleaned for £2  a panel . But then it is a bungalow & the easy access to them is on our smooth concrete driveway .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:16 pm »
Yester day we had all  our panels cleaned by the window cleaner using his long reach professional window cleaning gear and denatured water.

On putting some kitchen towel onto a new sweeping brush head I was able to get a sample of the dirty water coming off the roof.  Judging by the colour of it we shsould see quite an increase in efficiency from teh panels.

Has anyone else had their panels professionally  brush cleaned  etc. ?  If so what are your conclusions ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2015, 07:39:23 am »
59 for November.  :(   Down 35 on last year

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2015, 03:44:32 pm »
102 for Nov
It was 156 Nov 2014

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2015, 02:25:38 pm »
69 its been a miserable month! :raining: :raining: :raining:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2016, 05:17:51 pm »
53 kw for Dec - pretty pathetic but not surprising because oh how overcast and dreich it has been.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #250 on: January 04, 2016, 10:49:30 pm »
35 hardly surprising

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2016, 12:39:13 am »
cOuld someone tell me how solar pv works and how much does it save on electricity?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2016, 12:52:27 pm »
cOuld someone tell me how solar pv works and how much does it save on electricity?
I'm certainly not an expert, but basically:
Solar PV panels convert sunlight into electric, which goes through an inverter panel that is linked up to your electricity network. If you think of it as water, when your panels are generating the electric, the 'pressure' on your side of the meter box is higher than the local grid network so any excess electric you might have (after your own electric needs are met by the generated electric power) is output to the global grid. If you aren't generating excess then your electric needs are met, as usual, from your electricity supplier.
The savings are made in 2 ways - your inverter keeps a record of ALL the electricity to generate via a meter. You are then paid an FIT rate from your FIT provider (generally your electricity supplier). You get paid for a) total generation and b) an assumed amount of 50% of your total that is considered to be exported.
In addition, when your panels are generating, you obviously meet your own electricity requirements from your own panels, therefore you don't demand so much from your supplier so your bill is less.
However, the panels only generate during the day when the sun is out (doh!) and if your elec needs are low during the day (eg no-one at home during the day) then you won't benefit so much from your own generation and your elec bill won't go down as much as your majority use would be in the evening/night when the sun's not out anyway.
There are intelligent switches that can be used to switch on immersions etc when the generation is enough so that you use more of your generation and you can have a lot of fun (?) trying to work out ways to maximise this.
Are you confused yet???  :innocent:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2016, 08:39:25 pm »
Forgot to read on Jan 1st but today's reading makes 63 units in December (more than November)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2016, 01:40:29 pm »
Finally got round to taking the FIT meter readings today ....
I got really excited as it shows 76851.11  on the meter when viewed through the web cam I've set up .   Wow  quick mental pictures  of retiring in comfort flashed by till I did a reality check .

I got on some steps with a torch and saw it is not 76851.11 but 06851.11 for two years since installation.
  The illuminating LED's all eight of them just happened to hit the reading window enough to distort the 0 into a seven .   Makes me wonder if that's why the electricity supply folk decided to come and do a physical visit to read the darn thing at the beginning of January this year .

Still it's a useful amount and better than leaving the dosh sitting in a bank account earning banks far more than they would ever offer me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:43:56 am by cloddopper »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS