NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: AM just sitting here wondering if any one orders from plant catalogue  (Read 8710 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
I am looking at the thompson and morgan seed catalogue and am wondering if any one else look at them too.
Who do you think is the best catalogue?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: AM just sitting here wondering if any one orders from plant catalogue
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 11:38:34 am »
I like the Organic Gardening Catalogue. We're members of the HDRA and buying from it helps support their work, so have an added incentive.

We might open a seed-swapping board if there's enough interest - I know that most years we have lots of half-full seed packets left over - what do you think?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:19:29 pm »
I like that idea of a seed swap, this helps keep cost down and also prolong the life of the seeds if you no what i mean
I am quite lucky at the moment i have been given about £17 quids worth of vouchers for thompson and morgan the only problem is am having trouble deciding what to get lol Which isn't always a prob for me and seeds lol
linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:57:30 pm »
I like the T&M catalogue too. The vegetable bit has useful growing instructions. I do get seduced bt the marketing and make a long list of seeds, then have to cut it back when reality strikes home. This year, I grew aubergines - we don't LIKE aubergines, but according to the catalogue, these were the best thing since sliced bread.

I'd really like to get some Mayan Gold potatoes, if anyone knows a source...

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:47:01 pm »
We got some really nice potatoes from our local farmer's market and they worked out a treat when we eventually planted them. Pink Fir, Ratte, Golden Delicious (for MB's mum) and ...something else - I'm so scatty! They had plenty of other traditional and unusual types which I dared not try on my first attempt. ::)

Anyway that might be worth a try if you're looking for something less commercial or 'rare'.

Pebbles
Trying to be self-sufficient and raise happy, healthy animals on our smallholding at www.ardunanfarm.com

Championing local food producers around the UK at The Great British Food Hub www.thegreatbritishfoodhub.com get in touch if you want to be the person who creates a Food Hub in your community

what is this plant?

Started by maybelle

Replies: 0
Views: 1023
Last post April 07, 2011, 09:34:20 pm
by maybelle
What shall I plant here

Started by suziequeue

Replies: 11
Views: 3368
Last post June 05, 2011, 01:26:20 pm
by suziequeue
What can I plant now ( screening )

Started by kevkev57

Replies: 3
Views: 2059
Last post June 12, 2009, 05:01:16 pm
by northfifeduckling
Pot 'mums - can I plant out?

Started by Sharondp

Replies: 8
Views: 3131
Last post May 28, 2010, 12:22:54 pm
by CameronS
Any ideas what plant

Started by escapedtothecountry

Replies: 4
Views: 1533
Last post August 19, 2012, 10:18:14 am
by goosepimple

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS