Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plastic bags as pots. good results  (Read 3523 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
Plastic bags as pots. good results
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:43:08 pm »
I have had great results with the tough shopping plastic bags. The ones that they sell for a quid or so, well a euro here !  They are sort of fibery if you see what I mean( IKEA type but smaller ) I never buy them, but people tend to use them to take bottles down to the bottle bank.Then they just dump them on the ground.

I fill with compost and soil to about 50% of the bag. Then I turn out the top three inches of the bag which in turn hides the handles. I have used them for toms, and they seem to grow well as its a bit of a sun trap in there. I also started  melons and pumpkins in bags.

I have them on the terrace, and you can easily move them if required using the handles.

Just thought I would share it.
Kevin in Wallonia

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Plastic bags as pots. good results
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:55:13 pm »
I never buy them, but people tend to use them to take bottles down to the bottle bank.Then they just dump them on the ground.

Isn't it ironoic that people will go to the trouble of recycling but then let themselves down at the last hurdle?

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:27:25 am »
didnt worry me !! ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:01:04 am »
didnt worry me !! ;D
Guess not - they are still being recycled, aren't they  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:49:55 pm »
First time I'm using polybags for potatoes this year, they seem to be quite happy in there. Never occurred to me before, but I might also use compost bags and similar next year. I know which material you mean, kevkev, seen them in other people's gardens, but I think they bought them for that purpose in the garden centre. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS