Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaving  (Read 20075 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Weaving
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2012, 09:23:44 am »
Jaykay, cheers

Need to get heddle first I'd guess, and I assume the rollers would need ratchets on them, and a beater thingy

Mind at the end of the day I'm coverting one like yours with a stand, I'll have to check my savings account and open the shop a bit later to earn a couple more pounds

Seriously though, I've got a big bit of mounting board and have started drawing it up, using a I beam design to strengthen he sides, it won't last but if it works it'll do as a template for something a bit more wooden
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:25:59 am by Alistair »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 10:03:22 am »
The heddle does the beating too.

Yes, the rollers have ratchets on them. On mine, just a toothy cog and a swivelling peg that gets caught up on the teeth.

Oh I covet the stand for this one too but for now I either rest the back edge on the kitchen table and the front on my knee, or I have a trestle I rest the back edge on when I'm sitting in an easy chair. My savings account will have to do quite a bit of recovering after Christmas before I can buy the stand.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2012, 06:25:12 pm »
Jaykay - is this multicoloured wool, or different/separate colours in the warp?

I have found that with multicoloured yarn it is enough to do plain weave and let the colours do the "talking".

Your colours are wonderful! :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2012, 08:05:02 pm »
The warp is multicoloured.

I think that's it, the colours are enough without anything else going on  :) I've enjoyed doing it so much, just because of the colours  ;D

I ordered some yarn to make a scarf for a friend's birthday, on Jan 8th. No reply or anything from the company. I suppose they're taking the week off, can't blame them but I wish their website had said. Gonna have to cancel it and get some from somewhere else  :-\

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 10:31:32 pm »
Love those colours, Jaykay.  I'm looking on ebay and preloved for a loom.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 10:46:02 pm »
I'm looking on ebay and preloved for a loom
  Excellent  :thumbsup:

What sort? I'll look on Ravelry too.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:44 pm »
Yes, I saw that.  I really wanted a 24 inch but a 20 inch would do.  I'm waiting until a bit nearer the close before thinking about bidding. 

I've also looked on Ravelry but am not sure where to look.  I went into the shop but it all seemed to be adverts for things people had made, not the equipment.

:excited: :excited:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:02 pm »
Equipment would probably come up on the UK Weavers group - but there's nothing there at the moment. Hundreds for sale in the US of course  ::)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 12:04:57 am »
Try the Loom Exchange - I've not looked recently but they might have something.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 12:56:28 am »
Sorry if this isn't the right thing at all - but this has been posted in UK Classifieds on Ravelry
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 02:10:18 am »
Yeh, different sort of loom from the ones we were talking about.

I always think it's a worry when people won't post even a ballpark price but require you to ring them. Pick up from Gloucester.

New, what she's selling would be around £700 as opposed to around £200 for a rigid heddle.

Here's the Loom Exchange, nothing especially small or inexpensive at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:20:06 am by jaykay »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 03:55:04 pm »
I have been on Loom Exchange and, as you say, there is nothing like a rigid heddle loom.  I always did use a four shaft table loom - had a beautiful one made for me but ex ended up with that and all the weaving equipment.  Wish I'd tried to get it from him now.

Re the one on Ravelry, I'm not a million miles from Gloucester and even nearer the West Welsh border but not sure how to pm on there.  I agree that when people don't put prices it's a bit suss.  Like shops where there's no prices on the stuff in the window, so you assume it's going to be expensive.

I can't afford a four shaft now (unless it's a lot cheaper) and think a rigid heddle would be adequate for what I wanted to do.  I mostly did tabby weave when I was weaving for a living.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 03:59:09 pm »
 :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:   Just looked again and it's obvious how to pm.  I've sent a message.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 04:00:02 pm »
I think you have to have a Ravelry account (which is free).

Then, if you click on the person's avatar who's selling, it takes you to her profile page and at the top of that, just under her name at the top left, is the option to 'send a message'.

I was hanging my nose over the Glimraka Ideal floor loom on eBay. But as well as not having the money, I am not weaving for a living, there is no hurry for me to produce cloth and I have a long way to go before I have worn out all the possibilities of my little rigid heddle  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS