Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on pour ons please  (Read 5272 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Advice on pour ons please
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:37:44 pm »
Hi

Now that the sheep are sheared its time to protect them from flystrike.  First time doing this - can anyone recommend what's best for a small flock (currently 7 adults and 2 lambs to do). 

Have had a look at molevalley farmers at 'pour' ons (mostly spray ons) and they seem to vary as to whether or not they protect against flystrike (by killing larvae) or deal with flystrike when it has happened. Some are fly protection only, others also cover lice, keds and other things as well as giving flystrike protection.  Some protect for about 16 weeks and some need reapplying after 6 weeks.  Some might wash out in heavy rain (!) Some seem more hazardous to apply than others!  Some seem to need a very expensive gun to apply them.  Some come in smaller dose packs. Some say don't handle the sheep after application (mine get a get a pat or a wee back massage most days (lol) 

Now really CONFUSED ! - what do others with small flocks do?

Also - can anyone comment on what's best when you intend to show a couple of the sheep.  I have 2 going to the Royal Highland and would like to protect them but am worried about how this will affect the fleece from a showing point of view?

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Advice on pour ons please
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:56:17 pm »
Hi

We use "Spot on" on our sheep.  Works for a good length of time, it's a colourless liquid and is easy to apply from the bottle.  Still would not want to run my hands through it on a daily basis though!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:59:50 pm »
we use *click* on any animals we will be keeping for 4 months or more and *crovect* on anything that is due for sale in a fortnight. Click stops the maggots starting crovect will stop and also kill so we will also use crovect if anything manages to get struck
Ian

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:12:20 pm »
Hi

We use "Spot on" on our sheep.  Works for a good length of time, it's a colourless liquid and is easy to apply from the bottle.  Still would not want to run my hands through it on a daily basis though!

Dave

Spot on will not protect against fly strike!!! Clik and Crovect will!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:34:31 pm »
I use click or dysect but I usually get mine from shepherd nearby and give him som money so I do not have to buy in bulk.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:35:03 pm »
We use Crovect - but all sheep chemicals seem to be  a minefield.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:33:24 pm »
thanks for the replies folks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS