Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommend me a German Shepherd breeder in Scotland/North of England please...  (Read 11395 times)

HappyHippy

Just as title folks, we're starting to think about replacing Boris  :'( :'( :'( and Bruce has his heart set on another shepherd.
Thanks in advance  :wave:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Check out breeders of seiger gsd sport. These dogs are fit for purpose ( healthy to work ) and still have good conformation.
My gsd boy's dad is conbhairean lauser, a longhair who was the first longhair to get a champion in his  seiger class 2 years ago.
His mum is from the Fouranfass GSDs. They also work some of their GSDs for sheep and you will find a link to a video or two of them working.
Both these kennels have good natured and health checked dogs. Conbhairean kennels is in Scotland and Fouranfass is north England. There are other good dogs listed on seiger sites if you prefer more original styles.

I was told when I acquired my first gsd, it would be the start of a lifelong love of the breed and up to now it has  :love:  :dog:  :love:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
My cousin has just bought the sister of his older dog from up in the highlands, she's on my FB......but I think that was their last litter.......they also have a ring raft place near us that's always full of them.....hope you find a good breeder...but I can check my cousins contact out if you want

HappyHippy

Thanks guys  :-* I'll check them out  :thumbsup:
Have also got in touch with GSD rescue Scotland, so  :fc:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
We did have a guest selling some White ones last year...although I was not too sure about how well bred they were!! good luck and hope to see some photos soon...!!
I am looking for some stuff and just saw this add, http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/13-month-old-german-shepherd-alsatian/1005246008
Actualy sounds totaly not suitable but poor old Hector :(

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:22:25 am by happygolucky »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Never mind the breeding - check the shape.  The ring shown ones are quite often low in the hock and cow hocked into the bargain - and banana shaped backs - awful looking things and prone to back and hip problems, including hip dysplasia  The Sieger breeding is usually much better. Don't look at show kennels in the UK is my advice.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Do the right thing, go to a rescue centre

(Says the bloke who's latest puppy didn't come from a rescue, mind I have one proper rescue and he's sooo rewarding now, a year and a half down the line)

Gonna hide behind the couch now  ::)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Have you seen Hardy on the Many Tears website?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Do the right thing, go to a rescue centre

(Says the bloke who's latest puppy didn't come from a rescue, mind I have one proper rescue and he's sooo rewarding now, a year and a half down the line)

Gonna hide behind the couch now  ::)
I would agree with you normally Alister, but Karen has four young kids and will need to be very careful where she gets a Shepherd from.  As I said, check it's conformation - the banana backed ones end up having bad disc and hip problems - another reason for health checks before breeding.,
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Ahh.  Didn't know that, ignore me

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Ahh.  Didn't know that, ignore me
Would never do that, all opinions are valid.  :eyelashes:

HappyHippy

Thanks for all the info folks  :thumbsup:

I don't want a 'slopey backed' shepherd, Boris was very straight and level on the back and at 10 and a half showed no signs of any movement problems. So I'm sticking with that shape  ;)
No desires for a show dog (not that there's anythng wrong with them - I just don't have time/desire to show dogs) and I don't need them to be 'working' we're just looking for a faithful companion and if they can herd piglets, so much the better  :innocent: :thumbsup:

I heard back from the rescue centre to say they don't re-home dogs into homes with kids younger than 10 and they suggested we got a puppy instead.
That broke my heart  :'(  :'( :-\ Our kids have never known life without a GSD (Boris was a rescue himself, at 9 months old, and hadn't had a good start  >:() We don't particularly want a puppy, we'd like to help one of the poor abandoned ones  :-\
I think we have the ideal set up, fully enclosed garden, big house, 130 acres for him or her to run on, we don't go on holiday because of the pigs, there's always someone at home, I do my reiki 'thang' helping to heal emotional and physical scars on animals of all shapes and sizes and we want to help an older dog, puppies don't have problems finding homes because they're so cute and cuddly and everyone loves them, I'd much rather carefully choose one who's needing a bit of time, effort and love (because we have ooodles of that  ;))
I've replied to the rescue with pretty much what I've put above and hope they'll reconsider, it seems a crazy blanket rule to have in place, so I hope if they hear the history they'll reconsider. Infact, there's a dog on the rescue pages who's currently living in a foster home with a 1 year old and a 4 year old - so I don't see the difference (hopefully they'll see we've got experience and give us a chance  :fc:)

I'll keep you all posted  ;)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Good luck, sounds as though life with you would make some rescue dog really happy.  :thumbsup:

We contacted the Flat-coated Retriever rescue when our old flattie died but were told we weren't suitable as we had young children. I could partly understand it as they said that they tended to get adolescent boisterous males in for re-homing that required a lot of training / handling. I suppose some people would take them on and then find they didn't fit easily into family life and they would be back at the re-homing centre. Did make us sad though as we felt we could have helped a dog in need and had lots of experience with the breed. 

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
If you look on a breeders own website they sometimes have older dogs which have been returned to them after being taken as a pup. The dogs trust also assess a dogs behaviour before rehoming so will have a reasonable idea what the dog is like temperament wise.
Some breeds have great family temperaments but the GSD has many flaws in some breeding lines which is why most GSD rescues will not rehome with young kids, for safety.  That said, there are still some lovely natured ones out there, it's just finding one.

I hope you find one soon  :fc: I know once you make up your mind about getting a dog it can be torture finding the right one  ( taken from experience  ::) )
Will be watching for news  :eyelashes:

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
Never mind the breeding - check the shape.  The ring shown ones are quite often low in the hock and cow hocked into the bargain - and banana shaped backs - awful looking things and prone to back and hip problems, including hip dysplasia  The Sieger breeding is usually much better. Don't look at show kennels in the UK is my advice.

Best advice ever, the showing contingent should be ashamed of themselves the way they have ruined this breed, and don't get me started on the way they are handled grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS