Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog Attack  (Read 8718 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Dog Attack
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:59 pm »
Lost a wether to a dog attack today. Is there anything I need to do/notify anyone etc?

We'd already notified police before it transpired that 2 German shepherds got into our land, attacked the sheep, local farmer was in field next to us and managed to grab them, tie them up and contact owner.  He checked my 5 over but didn't see any harm.
By the time I got home, he was covered in blood and I found gaping wounds. Vet came out and put him to sleep. Vet writing a report on the 'awful awful injuries', so that we can make sure the owner pays vet bills and collection charges but do I need to do anything else please?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Dog Attack
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:26:33 pm »
Other than getting the police to prosecute the owners if the circumstances justify it, I think you have covered all bases.
Dogs can only be shot 'in the act' ie where its essential to prevent further killings, but a judge could order destruction or more likely muzzling and on lead when out in public. Not sure I would want that for a first offence since its the owners fault not the dog's, but it might be worthwhile pursuing the muzzle/lead order.
Im so sorry you have gone through this. We lost a young sheep a couple of years back, with another ewe injured, but didnt see the dog, but the injuries were classic dog; the following year three lambs were killed nearby and the dog was seen this time, so the description is known by the village even tho it couldnt be caught to prove it was the specific dog everyone knew it was - but they are on a general silent warning from the village now! One good thing is in your case the dogs were caught and identified.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:18:05 pm »
Thank you.

Apparently the dogs escape a lot. I'm worried that they'll be back. Police popping round tomorrow to see us. While I don't want to cause hostilities locally, my livestock is my responsibility and priority (not to mention my childrens safety too!)
Just so cross!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »
I think if this isnt a one off where the dogs getting out was exceptional, I would be pressing the police for some further action against the owners, so that they are compelled to keep them on a lead and muzzled at all times outside their property, and also to secure their boundaries.
Of course your animals are your priority, there is no excuse for the owners given what you say about this not being a one off in terms of the dogs getting out. And this isnt a case of the dogs 'just' bothering the sheep, they have killed. And once they have killed they will have the taste for it.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:27:54 pm »
 :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet:  So sorry, Plums.  Just awful  :'( . Hope the girls are okay.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:18:18 am »
That's a horrible thing to have happen.   :bouquet: :-* :hug:

The Police need to take action to make sure these dogs are kept properly controlled.  If they won't do anything, ask them if you could take action yourself though the Civil court.

Plums, do you have any pregnant ewes this year?  Would they have been nearby?  I ask because trauma can cause problems with pregnant ewes - abortion of course but also metaboilic disturbances.  So just keep an even better eye than usual on the girls for a day or two  ;)

:hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:16:53 am »
 :bouquet: so sorry plums.
  Why do so many people these days not take full responsibility for their dog's behaviour and ACT on it!! This owner is irresponsible and the police should come down hard on him/her.
( rant over  :rant: )

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:40:30 am »
Thanks All.

No, no pregnant ewes this year Sally thank goodness. No pregnant goats either.   The farmer who caught the dogs and has given me the number of the owner is checking his flock over (he has about 30 lambs next to my paddock) he says I need to keep an eye today as often the shock hits within the 24 hours of the attack and the remainder could be affected.
I'm worried that the dogs will come back now that they know where they've killed. With the exception of an air rifle I'm not in a position to protect my flock as I'd like to  :(  Police coming this morning to talk to us. At the least, these dogs need to be muzzled at all times! I know what action I'd like to see but we'll have to wait and find out what goes on from now. Oh and hope that she's honest enough to admit liability for these huge bills. Oh and I will take some pics of my dead, savaged lamb before he gets collected in 'that' lorry today.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:25:06 am »
You must take some horrid but very vivid pics of the wounds because unfortunately many people are unaware of what their dogs ACTUALLY did and will deny it  :( So sorry for you in this situation.....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:48:04 am »
Arh that is soooooo horrid, dogs like you say, will now be excited and do it again if they get out, that owner needs to keep them in a safer place, otherwise he will have them shot too.....sooo sad for you all.
My brother lives next to a chap who has a security business using Alsatian's, my brother adores any animal and understands dogs but often has to fend off one of his neighbours Alsatian's as they sometimes get out...as my brother said,t hats what they are trained to do but if that's the case, they need keeping securely, after all, would you let a lion or Tiger run loose!?
Not nice being a smallholder sometimes  :bouquet: :bouquet:

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:22 am »
So sorry Plums, that's truly awful for you  :( The only other thing I suggest is to contact your local council as well and ensure they are aware, as there may be a local by-law infringement too. I hope the Police will insist the dogs are kept muzzled and on a lead from now. We have a similar problem dog/owner here and she is compelled to walk it on a lead and muzzled. Local pressure (including warnings of the potential for the animal to be shot) also ensures she does not walk it anywhere near livestock.  :hug:
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:17:17 am »
Are your others looking okay, Plums?

Do you know if the owner is a reasonable sort in general? I know the dogs have got out before but now the owner knows what they are capable of ..... ????

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:36 am »
Everyone is telling me how 'lovely and sorry she is'. Even the farmer. I need her to see the damage her dogs can and DID cause as often I think domestic pet owners are oblivious to potential for harm from their pets.
still waiting for police. don't want to call goodmans to collect the sheep until police have been really.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:04 am »
Even if it is hard - take pictures as evidence.
Once a dog has had the thrill of chasing and killing - they will do it again! So unless this person is able (and willing) to look after her dogs properly they should be re-trained AND re-homed. You could also check with the RSPCA, although I would normally not be too keen to get them involved in the case of farm animals.
Speak to as many neighbours as possible, if they see these dogs running loose in the future they may be able to call you (and the police) and you (maybe)can prevent them doing it again
However - the chasing and killing of livestock is a criminal offence (as far as I know) and the dog owner should be prosecuted.
So sorry this happened,  :bouquet:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »
Hope then, that she is genuine and will act accordingly. It's horrible but she should see the photos in order that she fully understands what her dogs are capable of. I don't understand how some people can let their dogs repeatedly "escape" from their property ..... I would be a nervous wreck if I didn't know where my dog was. Okay a one off, mistakes happen, but repeatedly  :rant: .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS