Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moulting duck  (Read 2937 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
moulting duck
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:44:43 pm »
I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is normal  that a duck is a bit miserable when she moults? We seem to have the odd one that keeps to herself and I noticed that the one at the moment looks quite scruffy. Does it make them exhausted and solitary? :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: moulting duck
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:33:01 pm »
Yes, it does, they get quite depressed.  And you have to watch them if there is heavy rain as their under feathers aren't oily enough to cope.  I lost a white Campbell duck a few years ago to a 10 minute rainstorm.  She just went further and further downhill over three days and nothing we or the vet could do was any good.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:38:46 pm »
Thanks, Annie. In a way I'm glad it is nothing more serious, although I might separate her if she's still poorly tomorrow. Do they stop laying, too? :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:26:27 pm »
Yes, they do.  Try to keep her moving if you can and give her different things to tempt her to eat.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:28:13 pm »
I wonder if the others are picking up on it or if they all take a natural laying brake at this time of the year, our production has suddenly dropped to half. I had to go out this morning, so couldn't keep watch who's been laying in the garden and maybe the crows been taking them. I'll be in tomorrow to keep an eye, so will give her some treats, too. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:33:56 pm »
I thought mine had gone off lay as there were no eggs for three days, then I spotted a nest on sand under a tree - just a hollowed out spot.  Yesterday there were two eggs in it so I grabbed them quick and made sure the ducks stayed in a bit longer this morning - three eggs in the nesting box along with 3 ex batt ones.  So I guess the crows and magpies have been stealing mine.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »
must be that time of the year...today it was a bit better, but it already feels so late to let them out after 9 when it is light so early! The moulting girl is still resting and she didn't eat much, but she laid. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:36:30 am »
My ducks like the porridge I make for poorly chickens - porridge oats, boiling water poured over, add honey, a little citricidal, some milk to mix, leave to cool a little.  You can add some greens too.  Mine love it.  Hope it tempts her to eat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS